58 : Weightless

Franks is on top of Adrian now, pinning him down so his head is hanging off the edge of Deadmen's drop. They squabble as I desperately regain myself and search for some type of weapon. I see a log ahead and run to it. I slip in the dirt and feel something slice up my calves. I grit my teeth and grab the log ready to hit Franks in the head with it.

I turn just in time to see Franks punch Adrian in the nose. Crack. Blood flows everywhere and the rain washes it down his face.

I find the strength to swing the log but by some cruel twist of fate I miss Franks head and get his back. He's only stunned for a second before he's on his feet and chasing after me. Adrian is limp behind him.

I swing the log again but it's too heavy for me. Franks grabs it and tears it off me, throwing it into the water. I go to run but he pounces on me, pinning me face down into the dirt. I scream and thrash as hard as I can. He holds my hands behind my back and I wait for the drugs to be injected.

But Adrian is back and from the corner of my eye I see him take the syringe and stab it into Franks.

Franks waddles off of me and I hastily pull myself up. Franks looks rabid, like an animal, but at the same time completely resolved – like he knows exactly what he has to do.

Then I see Adrian's eyes and I've never seen more fear in them in my life. I watch Franks as he takes a few steps back and raises his gun.

It all happens so fast – but so slow. I scream and run to Adrian. I cover his body with mine as I hear the loud crack of the gun and I'm whipped down.

The rain keeps pouring – almost as if to spit on us. Almost as if to say you are pathetic – even the weather isn't on your side.

Franks collapses onto the ground. We're safe now.

I look into Adrian's eyes. I don't know how to place his expression. Is he shocked? Is he relived to be alive? Is he sad?

He holds me in his arms and I feel myself fading away.

The sound of sirens.

Blue and red lights.

Adrian's voice.

Darkness.

.

.

.

I drift in and out of consciousness. I am groggy. Everything is blurry. Everything is bubbly. This must be me disappearing into death.

I feel awake – but I feel asleep. I am awake now. My eyelids feel swollen and heavy. Swollen and heavy – like me. Like my brain. Like my body. Like my heart.

Who is here? I don't know. I see many figures. Hear many voices.

Bullet to the heart.

Won't make it.

Say your goodbyes.

Auntie and Uncle appear beside me. Auntie is crying. Very much crying. Uncle is red faced. He is telling me a story, about the day I first appeared on his doorstep.

My heart hurts. I don't feel the pain of the bullet wedged inside me. I feel the pain of my family in front of me.

They're sorry, they tell me, they tell me it's all their fault. I shake my head. Not their fault. I am waking more now.

"It's not your fault," I say. My voice is crusty and achy. "I love you. Thankyou for raising me. Adrian will give you money for my work with him. Spend it on baby."