13 : Her Mind's Like A Diamond

Recommended listen for this chapter : Carmen - Lana Del Ray

I've got to give credit where its due: Rapture is something special. It's sexy and mesmerising. A circular bar is in the middle, the countertop glows white and reflects on the mosaic mirror tiling on the ceiling. Surrounding the bar are different circular seating arrangements, all curtained with similar mosaic mirror chandeliers and hanging lights. The room shines like a galaxy full of diamonds.

The furthest side from us is where the actions at: more glowing table tops, dancers and live music. The hostesses have a new uniform – instead of the little black dresses they all wore, the scandalous women are clad in silver sequined dresses with low cut, exposed backs.

Iris for once seems to show a similar look of awe. His dark eyebrows are raised, his eyes scan the room like he's found hidden treasure, and he looks at me like the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow.

"Wow," he says.

One of the doormen stamps the back of our hands with the Rapture mark – something to build up the hype, sort of like free advertisement. Even though it will wash off with water.

That's when Boss comes up to us. "Welcome to Rapture, please, leave your coats at the-" she pauses and glances over me. "No, it couldn't be..."

I purse my lips into my best attempt at a smile. "Hey, Boss-"

"Oh, Jade, my precious girl. It's been too long! What gives us the honour of being in your gracious presence?" she leans over and gives me a hug, nearly squeezing out the snails in my stomach.

Boss is gorgeous in her own way. Her nose is pointed, sharp – her eyes are beady, with long, barbed eyebrows. She has long, black hair tonight, straightened and shiny. Her makeup is heavy, one could say that she draws inspiration from drag. She is almost scary, with a need to dominate and control. She is a good host though. She knows how to manipulate people, how to draw in crowds, how to keep her customers, and workers, happy. But knowing she has a dark, cold and domineering side is key to surviving in her world.

"Just giving my..." I look to Iris and wonder what to call him, "I'm giving my business partner a tour of the hottest places in Juniperville."

Boss steps forward, giving Iris a once over. "Well, you've come to the right place. What a handsome business partner you have there, doll." She leans in and kisses his cheek in greeting. "Do let me know if you have any other business enquiries," she winks.

Iris smiles his seductive smile, giving me a sideways glance. He takes off his coat and scarf. I pause for a second, running my fingers over the fabric of my coat, before finally pulling it off. I catch Iris looking back at me and my breath catches.

Boss leads us through the crowds of the club, a heavy night – far more than usual. I get caught a few steps behind.

Iris looks back at me – almost with a look of concern. I feel a hand grab mine, and recognize the slender and stern fingers as Adrian's. He pulls me forward, keeping up with Boss. I try to hold back the shock and utter hypnosis.

By the time Boss has found us a place at the bar, Iris releases my hand. There's a cold absence where his hand once ignited something.

"Drinks on the house," Boss says, kissing me again on the cheek before saying, "I've got to run around a bit, Jade, but I'll catch up with you soon." Boss walks away.

Adrian leans on the bar top. "Do tell me why she calls you Jade," he says.

"Nickname," I put simply.