10 : Snow White and the Seven Secrets

Different images of the day filter through my head as I'm falling asleep. Iris' white shirt – glowing around him through the water. Holding Sylv's hand. The smell of baby powder in Paige's room. It all pulls me into a deep, deep darkness.

I snap awake. Like the flick of a switch, my eyes open and adjust onto the dark figure standing at the edge of my bed. No, no. I scream and scream and scream. "Pa?!"

Within ten seconds my Auntie rushes into the room. "Rosie, Rosie – it's ok." She turns on the lights and the figure disappears.

"I'm fine, Auntie Helen. Go back to sleep."

"It's ok, sweet heart, I'm awake now. What did you see?"

"Grandpa..." I look back over to where he was standing.

"Why would he scare you sweetie?"

I look down at the blankets over my hips. "I don't know."

She leans over and kisses me on the forehead. "Get some rest. Do you want me to stay with you?"

"No, no. I'm really fine. Thank you for checking on me."

She gives me a small smile before leaving, turning off the lights and closing the door.

I lay back down, adjusting the covers and turning onto my side. Sleep runs away from me, refusing to let me take refuge from my awful internal monologue.

I lean over to the side of my bed and turn on my lamp. My jacket is neatly folded in such a way that I can almost make out the shape of Paige's diary. I sit up and pull the jacket onto my lap and unwrap the diary like a present.

I know it's wrong to read her diary. I shouldn't. Diaries are personal, they're a private place to reflect and think and really be true to yourself. I don't want to read it... but I have to. There's no other way for me to figure it out.

I open up her diary to the first page. This is almost two years old... no way. Thinking back to two years ago... I was a completely different person. I was living a completely different and twisted life. I wish I could go back in time and take it all back. I wish I could do it all over and choose Sylv instead. Why didn't I choose Sylv?

I still remember the first time we kissed, before Paige was even a thought in his mind. I still remember running to him with everything I had. I still remember how selfless he was, and how he cared so much about me. And I just abandoned him. I didn't even give him an explanation... I couldn't. I can never tell him the truth.

I start reading the first page, dated two years ago, which illustrates one of her first dates with Hayden. I open up a notepad and write down on my list of leads to follow – 'interrogate Hayden'. I continue reading.

Avalon and I had dancing class this afternoon. This year's performance is Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and I was selected as Snow White – which is suitably fitting as I am the palest in the troop. Unfortunately, my hair does not match the description so I will have to wear a wig during the recital. It's so embarrassing – it makes my forehead look abnormally large. Argh, I am going to look like an absolute fool.

I find myself laughing out loud.

Anyways, Rose has been acting rather strange lately. She disappears some lunch breaks and never really explains where she's gone. She's fallen behind in her studies, she never makes it to group dates and she's cut her hair. I don't know... she just seems like a different person. Avalon and I are getting worried and we might make an intervention soon. We don't want her to push us away, but we just don't know what to do.