Chapter 31

There was a never ending flow of positive thoughts being pumped into my brain from Maddox. I had not utilized the mind link in years, so trying to block out foreign thoughts in my head was something I had to get used to again.

I was hesitant to face anyone. They would know for sure by our mixed scents and the large obvious mark on my shoulder bone that we had in fact done the dirty last night, to put it simply.

Zoe would make some suggestive comment and I would be humiliated. Why did everyone have to know? If I wasn't Queen, this surely wouldn't be a problem. 

Ugh, and here I am complaining about being Queen, what about when my life was actually genuinely difficult? 

In any case, I felt relieved, at the very least. I no longer felt compelled to set Taylor free, that invisible bond was broken and the bandages around my mutilated arm are merely a physical reminder of that. 

The bond between my old pack and me was broken, but a new one was formed, not just between Maddox and me, but with the entire Royal Pack.

And while I no longer felt compelled to help Taylor, I still had this undying urge to go to the cells and try to get some answers from him.

Why did they treat me so animalistically? Why was he such a hateful person? Why was the blame for Luna's death somehow on me?

I was no longer scared of him I just desperately wanted to know why I had deserved a life of hostility, how a whole group of people can become so hateful to someone they once cared for. 

I snuck down to the cells later that afternoon when Maddox was out to lunch with his cousins, I insisted I stay behind so he could have time with his family. 

The guards didn't stop or question me since they were now fully able to detect me as their new Luna, despite the ceremony not occuring yet. The guards stationed directly outside of Taylor's cell however glanced at me with a curiosity but I returned it with a dismissive look, and they turned back to their original positions. 

Taylor was a mess.

That was probably an understatement. He was barely clothed, only a bit of his shorts remained. His limbs were confined with what I could only assume to be silver chains. Not a centimeter of his skin was free from some sort of welt or bruise or cut. I cringed at the image of what I looked like not too long ago. 

Despite his obvious pain, he looked content. It annoyed me, he should not feel proud of what he had done. 

His head lifted slightly when he sensed me come closer. He made a grand gesture of sniffing the air and then smirked, "you little whore, finally found someone willing to take damaged goods, congratulations."

The guards tried to step in but I held up my hand stopping them. My heart clenched slightly at his words, but I tried to restrain myself from being overly emotional not wanting Maddox to know that I was here. He would feel it through the mate bond. I stayed silent for a second, and Taylor continued to speak.

"So I guess you're not here to let me out. It's fine really, I find it quite comical that I'm still alive, really. Your pussy of a mate too scared to kill me?"

That's when I got annoyed. He can, and has made a mockery of my life, but I would not let him treat Maddox in that same respect. I approached the cell, trying to get as close as I could. I felt an overwhelming flow of power in me, as I grasped one of the cell bars. 

"Say another thing about Maddox. I fucking dare you."

My voice was calm and collected, but still spewed pure rage. His mouth gaped slightly and he stared at my hand holding the bar. His demeanor had completely changed. Instead of the cocky asshole, he looked like the older kids in elementary school had just taken his lunch money. 

"Luna, be careful, the bars are coated with wolfsbane!" The lanky guard approached me. I pushed him away and examined my hand, smirking. I held it up to show Taylor, wiggling my fingers around, there was no sign of damage. I felt powerful, like I was on some kind of high, invincible.

This was the first time I had ever seen Taylor genuinely nervous. He gawked slightly, feeling the power radiating off of me as I spoke, and as the wolfsbane had no effect on my hand. 

"You are going to tell me why I was treated the way I was in Black Raven. I am going to get my answers and then I will personally kill you. Understood?"

He swallowed hard, but eventually nodded. 

"It-it's not me you want to talk to... M-my da-dad," he stuttered out. I laughed at the role reversal. How long ago was it me stuttering scared to death, when Taylor was laughing and abusing me. Was I becoming a monster, was it toxic to be seeking revenge?

I shook the thought, I was the good guy, right? I was only trying to defend myself and my mate.

"Is Alpha- Is Ryan being held in these cells?" I cursed myself for calling Ryan my Alpha, old habits die hard I guess.

Lanky guard was the one to respond, "I'm sorry Luna. He killed himself in holding a week ago."

"What?" I heard Taylor's quiet voice ask, he sounded heart broken, and I couldn't help but feel bad. "No-no one told me?" His voice cracked. 

I hated Taylor. I despised him more than anything in this world. He took away so many years of my life, he took away my innocence, my happiness. I should not feel bad for the monster sitting across from me, but no one deserved that. To be told that your parent killed themself, that is something no one should go through, none the less a week after it occured.

Goddess, I am for sure going to regret this. "Can we arrange a funeral, and allow Taylor immunity to attend?" I whispered to the guard.

I did not forgive Ryan nor Taylor's behavior, I was just trying to show the empathy that I was never given.