Chapter 7

Maddox POV

I open the door to see a room no larger than the size of a small bathroom. A dim lit lamp sits on the floor next to a mirror that's partially shattered. The only other thing in the room is a bed, if I can even call it that. The old, yellowing mattress had no sheets, blankets, or pillows on it, and springs were sticking out of it here and there.

On top of the "bed" was Phoenix curled into a ball facing the wall, her head tucked under her arms. I notice her silently sobbing and become furious.

"Who did this to you?" I growl, my wolf Aaron itching to take control of my body.

Her small figure jumps up, then winces slightly, grasping her stomach. How did her wolf not sense my presence as soon as I walked in? How did she not know who I was?

Her hands fly to her face wiping away any lingering tears, and she shoots up to a standing position, which looks painful to her.

"King Maddox! Apologies, I was training, and got a little roughed up, so I decided to sit out for the rest of it since I got hurt, which is why I'm not training at the moment." She fumbles over her words and I can't help but chuckle, it was adorable.

"Is this your room?" I inquire, looking at her eyes that held fear.

She hesitated for a second as if she was formulating an answer. "My actual room is under renovation, so this is just a temporary arrangement" she responds quietly.

I guess that makes sense, but something seemed seriously off, but she didn't seem to want to discuss it further so I dropped it.

"Would you like me to help you with your injuries?" I asked her, I had some experience working with the pack doctor when I was younger and interested in becoming a doctor, even though my fate has been laid out for me since day one. My parents still wanted me to be able to explore different career paths if I so wanted to. 

However she immediately declined, and I frowned, I really just wanted an excuse to touch her.

Not being able to think of any other excuses to stay, I dejectedly say good bye and exit the room, hoping that she would feel the bond soon, before we leave Sunday Morning.

Phoenix POV

He made me nervous, yet I felt the exact opposite when with him, as if I was instinctively safe with him. It was bizarre, and weird, and I didn't like it.

If he were to find out about the abuse I endured here, it would get worse, I nearly blew it, but I think I convinced him enough to keep him away for me for the remainder of their stay here.

He was cute, it made me smile thinking about it, giggling like a school girl with a silly crush. He must have been a foot taller than my short stature of 5 foot 3 inches. He had these gorgeous green eyes and this dark wavy hair. I felt silly swooning over a guy I stood absolutely zero chance with.

The Werewolf King! He's got to have a beautiful strong mate who just couldn't make it on the trip I'm sure. What a lucky girl.

What am I talking about? I have so many other things to be worrying about besides this gorgeous specimen of a werewolf. I will literally be murdered if I try anything with this guy, not that I'd ever have the confidence to even strike up a conversation with him.

"He's your mate idiot" June scowls in my mind.

 I shake my head. "You leave me for a week and then come back and lie to me? That's impossible. He's the king, I'm no one."

"Why do you think you feel comfortable around him? It's the mate bond! And admit it he's hot!"

I blush, but begin to think about it. It would make sense why I felt eerily safe around him. But he wouldn't want me. I'm weak, lower than omega status.

"He'll help us Phoenix! We need to talk to him."

"But the alpha command from Ryan. I can't say anything to him, it's physically impossible." 

Alpha's had this special power that when they speak in their alpha tone, any wolf in his pack must do as he says. It's impossible to ignore, the power the Alpha's held was unable to be disobeyed.

"You don't need to talk about that... Just talk to him, and he'll take us away from here. Alpha can't say no to the king, and the king will want us, his mate."

I suppose that Alpha never said that I couldn't talk to them at all... I just can't talk about my position in the pack. The only thing I was afraid of is what would happen if Maddox were to find out how weak I am. Even if I couldn't directly tell him, he'd be able to figure it out pretty easily just by spending time with me, and then he'd reject me.

I was always taught that I wouldn't even get a mate, with my ranking, and then the king shows up and is my mate? Seems unlikely. Regardless, I'd take June's advice and talk to him. 

I crack the door open and peak out, before quietly taking off down the hallway, following a lingering scent of rain and pine. It was quite addicting, and I followed it instinctively. 

The trail leads me to the living room, I hear several voices inside. I stand outside, trying to find the courage to walk in. I hesitantly push open the door and see Hunter, Carter, and Naomi practically on top of Maddox, she is so close to him on the couch.

I automatically frown without thinking about it, and turn back towards the door wanting nothing to do with this. 

Of course Maddox would want the pretty, strong warrior instead of me. I'm not surprised, but I'm hurt. June is also pouting in the back of my head urging me to turn back around and join the group, being overly possessive of the King already.

I hear my name being called, but I ignore it and slip out of the room, how foolish was I to think I deserved a king?