Chapter 15

Phoenix POV

Everything was sore, but I was used to it. I got to leave the hospital today, Maddox said I was going to go back to the Royal Pack House with him. I was sort of petrified, I knew he wouldn't hurt me, but having to face the Royal Pack and pretend to be their Luna was kinda scary. I can't pretend to be their queen, I know I'm not worthy of that title. 

I don't know how much he knew about my past, if he knew the extent to which I was used... I assume he doesn't know, since he still has yet to reject me. 

I wiggled my fingers around in the cast, trying to pass the time, bored out of my mind from sitting in this hospital room for several days alone.

Maddox was in and out of here the last few days, understandably he had work to be done as the king, but I found myself lonely for majority of the time wishing for someone to talk to. 

Crazy how I spent nearly 6 years without a single person to talk to, but 2 days alone in a hospital room and I was itching for human interaction.

My head shoots up when I hear the door creak open, Maddox walks in, a small smile evident on his face, I try to reciprocate some kind of emotion, but I fall short, managing to only twitch my lips slightly upwards. June was nagging me about giving him a chance, I figured I had nothing else to lose. I just knew it would be difficult for me to trust, to open up to him.

"You ready to go?" He questioned, I nodded and began to stand up, struggling slightly having a cast on my foot, but quite frankly I was used to getting around on an injured leg or two and this felt like nothing to me.

"It's not that far, but I figured it would be easier on your injuries to drive there," he informed me. Weird, I hadn't been in a car for 6 years, I could hypothetically have a license if my life wasn't so screwed up. I stopped myself from thinking about it, I hated to think about what my life would be like if my parents hadn't abandoned me, it just makes me depressed.

I focus instead on the music playing on the radio, and the trees surrounding the road on either side. I don't recognize the song, but I hum along regardless, not liking the quietness between me and Maddox.

"How are you feeling?" He breaks the silence, I open to mouth to respond, only to realize I have no idea how I was feeling. I could lie and say I was ok, but really I wasn't, at all. June had been talking non stop in my head about how wonderful a life we'd have with Maddox, as if she completely forgot about all the trauma we've been through. She was confident things would work out, but I knew he'd find out how broken I am and reject me. Werewolves needed a strong queen not a used, ugly, runt. I was quickly spiraling inside my head when I heard Maddox clear his throat, bringing me back to reality.

"I-umm-uh..." He chuckled slightly, I just glanced down at my lap. "It's okay, I know you've been through a lot, and it's more than understandable that you'll need time to adjust, but I'll be there for you," my mouth gaped open slightly. I had never met someone as understanding as him, a small smile creeped onto my face, but I quickly shook it off.

We arrived at the pack house shortly after, I was shocked at the size, it looked like a super fancy hotel... I would not fit in here. We walked through the giant front door, and I couldn't help but gasp. The entrance opened up into an amazing living room where a few people were scattered watching TV and playing games.

All their heads popped up upon hearing the door open, I froze in my place, as Maddox walked in. I hated attention, and I could tell that would quickly become a problem.

I felt extremely out of place, I looked down at myself, wearing a black hoodie and leggings with worn down old converse. Wasn't a luna meant to lead with grace? How would I ever fulfill that duty?

Maddox POV

I walked into the living room with my beautiful mate, greeting some pack members, just happy that Phoenix was finally out of the hospital and I could start spending all my time with her, getting to know every little detail about her.

However, I quickly realized that she was no longer next to me and I swiveled around to see her frozen in the doorway. She looked like a lost puppy, staring down at her shoes, her hands nervously twitching at her sides.

The pack was already informed to be gentle around their new Luna, as she was rather fragile from all the anguish on her life, they knew to be patient with her, and not too overexcited, as to scare her. The few pack members bowed their heads in respect as I coerced Phoenix into the house, and then they went back about their business.

I appreciated their self control, as in any other circumstance they would be all over their new Luna, asking questions and trying to befriend her.

I brought Phoenix up to my room and let her look around, I let her know that I'd be staying in a guest room until she was ready to share a bed. I wanted her to become accustomed to staying in the room, even if it meant I had to be relocated for a short time, the room smelled like me, and I knew it would keep her calm and composed.

Her face gleamed at just the sound of  getting a bed to sleep in. It broke my heart that she spent three weeks on a basement floor, and before that, six years on an old tattered mattress. I was excited to give her the small privileges that everyone deserves. She lit up at just the idea of having a bed, I was happy to see her reactions to when I gave her gifts and cuddles one day.

All in all, I was happy to have her.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading, 

maybe vote and leave a comment before clicking off!

I'm going to try to start uploading more consistently 1-2 times a week since some people are actually reading this now :)

Anywho, have a great day my guys!