Chapter 26

The car stopped in front of my old home. 

The pack house was beautiful, but thousands of horrible memories lived inside of it. I took in a shaky breath as I pushed the passenger door open and stepped out of the car.

Maddox followed me from the driver's seat. A bunch of the royal warriors were already here acting as security, but I knew this pack well. Even the cruelest members would play nice, they are deceitful, they would convince Maddox they had no choice but to hurt me. I knew the lies though, I know who enjoyed torturing me versus those who did it out of necessity, being forced to by Alpha. 

Although I still didn't feel great about snitching, I had to think about the greater good. I didn't want wolves with abusive tendencies to be out in the world beating on anyone who couldn't stick up for themselves. I don't want anyone to be subjected to the treatment I faced for six years.

The pack house was daunting, but I began to walk towards it. Maddox trailed behind me, but let me take the lead. This was my mission, not his. I needed this closure.

I walked into the house and was immediately overwhelmed. The living room was packed with people, my old pack members and more warriors from the royal pack. I was lead into the dining room with Maddox where Hunter and Carter, Maddox's cousins were already seated. Hunter as the highest ranking warrior was there for my protection, not that I needed it... Carter was gamma, so he was also important. I didn't know either of them very well, but I didn't mind them being there.

I sat down across from them and they began to explain what would be happening.

Carter began, "This will go sort of in an interview process. I know you will probably have pretty skewed perceptions of people based on your experiences with them, so we're just going to ask everyone a few basic questions to see if they have changed or if they ever intentionally hurt you. In the end you will have the final say but, we will be here to help you out, give any advice, and really just be here for moral support." I nodded, sounded easy enough, besides the fact that we had around 100 pack members and it would take all day. 

"We'll be going alphabetically in your packet, and around noon we'll break for lunch and continue afterwards. Hopefully this will be a one day affair, if not we can come back tomorrow." Hunter finished off.

To be frank, I was stressed. Maddox gently placed his hand on my thigh, but I pushed it off quickly. I wasn't embarrassed of him, but everyone had always denied that I even had a mate, so it felt weird showing up with the King suddenly being my mate. I was almost scared that I was just imagining it and this was all just some bad fever dream. 

Maddox glanced over at me a tad upset, but he didn't say anything. He flipped open his folder and took out the packet, clicking a pen with his other hand. 

"Vanessa Abraham," he read out the first name. 

I hadn't seen Vanessa in a long time. In middle school we ate lunch together and were usually partners in science class, but that was the extent to which I knew her. I don't remember her ever doing anything bad to me, besides maybe calling me a "freak" in passing when Alpha Ryan was nearby. It wasn't mean, just a way of showing Alpha that she obeyed him. 

A guard brought her in a minute later and she sat down at the head of the table with me and Maddox off to one side,  and Hunter and Carter on the other side. She was fidgety, obviously nervous having to go first.

"Hi," she squeaked. My lip tugged into a small smile knowing that she was innocent.

Carter was about to ask a question when I interjected, "she's good," was all I said. 

Vanessa glanced up at me smiling, "Thank you Queen Phoenix." 

That had a weird ring to it, it felt wrong being addressed as royalty, but it made me feel a little giddy inside. "Are you sure Luna?" Carter asked.

His intentions were good, he wanted to make sure she was safe, but I was confident and I expressed that. If this would be an all day affair, why waste our time on those I know with confidence are no threat?

She bowed her head in respect and left the room when given the ok. From what I understand everyone will stay at the pack house until final decisions are made, and then after we will work on rehoming everyone appropriately based on whether they had family or any specific needs to be fulfilled.

I was filled with more confidence as she left, maybe this wouldn't be so difficult, and for a little while it wasn't. We ran through her parents Wendy and Zayn, and a few others, but then we landed on Andrew Cade. 

He was an interesting case as he had two kids. How was I possibly meant to tear him away from his children? 

Maddox sensed my unease before Andrew was brought in. "Did he hurt you?" I denied it immediately, but he glared at me. "I know you're lying, why are you trying to protect him?"

"I, um, it's just that... He has children Maddox." I couldn't bare to take away someone's parents. I know what it's like growing up without any, and it was a miserable experience. 

"Did he hurt you?" He repeated his question. I chewed on my lip before reluctantly nodding. 

"Um, I thought at first he was nice. But then he um, he liked to uh, um, p-pour boiling water on me.." My voice came out quiet. I heard Maddox growl, and then the door opened and Andrew walked in looking confident. My throat tightened, he was wearing a "World's Best Dad" shirt. A smart move to gain pity points. 

An awkward silence filled the room, Maddox was glaring at him, hard. Carter cleared his throat to fill the silence, "Ok, Andrew, have you ever intentionally hurt Phoenix?"

The question stood in the air for a moment before Andrew replied, "I would never intentionally hurt a child, I have two of my own." He was really trying to hit it home that he had kids, everyone knew it was a weak point for me. He knew I was an orphan, he knew I wouldn't want his kids to grow up fatherless. Carter nodded and then continued, "She told us that you would dump boiling hot water on her, is that true?"

His face hardened slightly, he almost looked disgusted with himself. "Alpha made me. He told me if I didn't he would hurt my kids like he hurt Phoenix. What was I supposed to do as a father? I- I'm sorry."

Maybe I'm just too forgiving or soft, but I genuinely believed him. "Um, how old are they?" I asked quietly."

"Seven and ten," he responded.

"He's good," I whispered, staring down at the packet .

Maddox scraped his chair back and turned to me. 

"Are you insane?! You're just going to let him get away with that?! Absolutely not." I shook my head, I had the final say. 

"I said he was good. I know he's telling the truth." Somehow I knew. I had this strong gut feeling that it was true. Somehow, this gut feeling made me feel better. Maybe all these years, it wasn't that these people despised and hated me, maybe Ryan was just so manipulative and evil that he convinced me that they were all just as evil. Maybe I wasn't always alone, I just didn't know it.