"Yeah that would be great man. I don't know if I'll have the time though. Things are rough here at the moment." Tate then explained to his long time friend about what had happened since the last time he talked to him. It had been quite awhile so naturally there were a lot of fight stories, drunken nights, warnings, and even a few nights spent in jail. Then he started telling Cole about Megan and what was going on on the ranch. When he was finished Cole whistled.

"You've gotten yourself in a bind this time boy. A pretty girl in a wheelchair? Sounds like trouble to me." He laughed and Tate shook his head.

"C'mon Cole. Maybe it's the best for me. After all I haven't been in jail since I got here and I've had no black eyes." The two laughed as they both thought of Tate's quick temper and what that often got him. Even back home as a boy, Tate had a quick temper that couldn't be calmed until the person who had incited it walked away bloody.

"Maybe. But you do realize that now she's alone? Everyone's gone but you and if you start getting the urge to run again... Well you'll be leaving another broken woman behind." Cole's voice turned serious and Tate swallowed hard.

"You talkin about my momma? Or Brea?" Tate asked quietly, already knowing the answer. Cole snorted.

"You know I'm talkin about your momma Tate. Brea doesn't care about no one but herself."

"She still hasn't learned compassion huh?"

"Huh. Fat chance of that happening." Cole huffed his dislike for the girl down the line. He had never liked her, even when Tate had been messing around with her and he hadn't hid the fact either.

"Cole how is she?" Tate asked quietly, and Cole knew he was talking about his momma.

"She misses you bad Tate. You should go see her. I went and visited her last time I was up that way and all she could talk about is you. Asked me where you were, what you were up too. Don't you even call her anymore Tate?" He heard the reproach in his friend's voice and closed his eyes against the pain in his chest.

"I miss her too. We don't talk much on the phone. The last few times she's called I've been too drunk to answer. Then when I listen to her messages when I'm sober, it hurts so bad that I turn to the bottle again. She hasn't called in months." Tate thought of his momma, wished for a second he could call her and hear her voice, but also knew it would just hurt too bad.

"Man you've got to sort yourself out. Sounds like you might have found a place to stay now and you know you can't run from what happened forever. Especially if it means you keep hurtin people like your momma and now this Megan."

"I know." It was silent for a long moment and then Cole spoke again.

"You said you needed help bringin cows home? How many of them?"

"A little over 200." Cole whistled.

"How on earth did she manage before you?"

"Her cousin was here. Wasn't much of a rancher due to the look of this place and that herd but they got by. This town is full of good folk too that helped out."

"Well I'll tell you what. I have another rodeo about 5 hours away from here in four days. Then I head back home for a few weeks. I'll come to this ranch tomorrow and if you can get a crew together to get cows home the day after that I can help. Then I'll stay another day and then head off for the rodeo. It'll give us a chance to catch up."

"You'd do that?" Tate couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his face at the thought of seeing his best friend again.

"Yup. You gonna be able to get a crew together?"

"What, you mean we can't run 200 cattle by ourselves?" They both laughed and then Tate reassured him that they would find someone. After giving him directions to the ranch, Tate hung up feeling a lot better. He even started whistling as he went about the rest of the chores.

*****

"Hey Megan. I have good news." Tate walked in the door for supper, smiling to himself at the sight of her in the kitchen, heating up some lasagna that had been dropped off by some sympathetic person. Lately she had just been sitting by the window and it was Tate heating up supper for them, but it looked like she was starting to feel better. She turned and managed a smile.

"Oh good. We need that around here." Her smile faltered just a bit, but Tate could see the old fire was back in her eyes. She wasn't over mourning her father yet, but she was getting better.

"I got someone to help us with bringing the cattle home."

"Really? Who?" A spark of curiosity was burning in her eyes and he couldn't keep the grin off his face.

"One of my old buddies from Texas is on the rodeo circuit. He just finished one not far from here and has another in four days about five hours from here. He said he will stop in and help with the cattle and then stay here for a couple days until he's gotta leave again. His name is Cole Winters and he's one of the best men you will ever meet." She seemed to catch on to his excitement as a gleam started in her eyes.

"Well goodness. When will he get here?"

"Tomorrow." Her hands flew up to cover her mouth.

"Tate! This house isn't fit for company right now. I've got to clean the bunkhouse so he can sleep in there and you'll have to take the couch for a couple nights. I'll have to clean this house and air it out some too. It's too sad in here." She wrinkled her nose a little and then fluttered her hands a little bit. Tate laughed at her worrying and stooped to give her a quick squeeze before standing up straight and grabbing his plate off the counter.

"Don't worry about it none Megs. Cole's used to roughing it." She glared at him and he laughed again. "I'm teasin you. The house looks fine. Besides he ain't fussy." She sniffed a little and turned away to grab her plate but he saw her smiling a little with a blush on her cheeks. He was glad that this had come up. It would take her mind off her grief and get her back on track again.

****

So after much thought and a few story ideas, I have decided that I will be making a series based off of the 'healing' theme. This will be the first of a few and they will all be able to be read as stand alone's also as it will be different characters each time. However, in this chapter I've introduced one of my main characters for the next book I'm planning; Cole Winters. I'm excited to get this series going as I get more ideas for more books. :) As always thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed! ~S