“Our Mo’er really is Our most beloved child.” The Emperor’s became a little more lively. It was as if he was expressing his thoughts, “Dear imperial concubine, don’t worry. As long as We are around, nobody will be allowed to bully Mo’er. Even if there comes a day when We are no longer around, this country will definitely be handed to Mo’er. I definitely will not treat mother and child poorly.”

Feng Yuheng could not bear to continue watching, as she pulled Xuan Tianming and retreated. Only after hiding in the space did she say: “In this sort of situation, I won’t be able to check Father Emperor’s pulse. But listening to how lively his voice is, there should not be anything majorly wrong.”

“Hmph!” Xuan Tianming coldly snorted, “What illness could he possibly have? At first, I thought that he might have some sort of plan and was deliberately putting on appearances. Now, it seems that he really is genuinely interested in the wellbeing of those two!”

Feng Yuheng helplessly said: “They’re all his women, and you’re all his sons. If he really wanted to treat those two well, there’s nothing that we could say, right? After all, it was indeed our imperial concubine mother who had treated Father Emperor coldly for all of these years. No matter what else is said, he is still a man. But I still feel that something is off about all of this. For a person to change, it is impossible for them to change so suddenly. There must be something that provoked him and brought about such a large change. As for this factor, I believe that it definitely is not the execution of the eighth prince. There is another cause at play, and we need to investigate carefully.”

Xuan Tianming nodded, “We should investigate carefully. This Imperial Palace is too unclean.” An exhausted look appeared on his face, as he unconsciously waved his hand and said: “I really am ambivalent in regards to the throne, but I definitely do not want to see the old man give it to old eighth like this. That old eighth might be made to govern the world, but he is definitely not a ruler who will love the people. I cannot just watch Da Shun fall into the hands of someone like this, but right now…”

“There’s nothing about right now.” Feng Yuheng said, “It’s just that the Emperor merely gave Imperial Concubine Yuan Shu that sort of promise while in bed. As long as the imperial decree has not been made, it will not come true.”

“That’s right!” A look of concern lingered on Xuan Tianming’s face, as he thought for a while longer before saying: “We’re leaving. Go to the inner hall.”

Feng Yuheng did as he said and headed in the direction of the inner hall. Once there, she saw Xuan Tianming raise his right arm and gesture. In the darkness, a hidden guard suddenly appeared and kneeled in front of him, silently saying: “Master.”

“Un.” Xuan Tianming looked at the person and did not mince any words, directly asking: “What exactly happened in the palace these past few days?”

The hidden guard was one of the Emperor’s hidden guards, protecting the old emperor at all times. If the old emperor had been threatened at some point during these past few days, others might not know, but these hidden guards would definitely be able to notice something.

But this hidden guard shook his head after hearing these words, replying: “There was nothing out of the ordinary. At the time when Imperial Concubine Yuan Shu was still just a talented lady, she came to request an audience with His Majesty for the sake of the eighth prince, but His Majesty did not agree to it. The two went their separate ways without meeting. After this, His Majesty went to court at the scheduled time and did not do anything out of the ordinary. It’s just that His Majesty suddenly changed his mind when it came time for the eighth prince’s execution. It was because of this that his head began to hurt, and he remained lying down on the imperial bed. But… right now, he’s most likely made a great recovery.”