Element Of Surprise

Start from the beginning

Fumbling all over, she looked for her make-up utensils. The lightest of make-up―no heavy make-up― was allowed on maids otherwise there would be punishment, however there was no need to abide.

Li Lian came to YiYuan sick, so her accompanying luggage only had basics packed by someone else, without jewelry or make-up. That was not a problem as she had to make-do by smuggling someone's make-up from the other maids.

Li Lian painted her lips rouge red and shades of pink powder on her cheeks. It gave the illusion of blush. She pinned her hair tight with a simple knot so she could easily undo it later on.

Under her packed clothes she took out her handkerchief, sewn in with lotus flowers. It was her favorite, wonderfully made by Nameless. Who knew that she would use it for her greatest exploit? Seducing the emperor.

The royal family had a thing called, evening snacks, and this she would use to slip into Grand General's bed chambers without attracting attention. She knew no person she could  negotiate swapping shifts with to serve on the night duty. Thus Li Lian just pitched up at the kitchen as if she was on duty, hoping they wouldn't suspect her of foul. When the maids lined up with the meal, she shadowed behind at the back, holding a mere dish of water. If asked why she was there, she would just lie by saying she thought she was also on duty. At best she was going to get away with just a kneel-down punishment.

As they walked through the snaking paths towards the Grand General’s bad chamber, she pondered on how she had been a fool. From the beginning Yuwen Hong did mention that he was royalty. He also had many maids by his side―signifying great status. Luo Meng followed him everywhere, and even Court Lady Nam helped with the preparation of his bathing waters.

His mother… her mistress also dropped hints. Maybe it's because Li Lian was sick that she didn't suspect anything when Grand Consort Shu went on and on over how Yuwen Hong’s mother must be beautiful. Grand Consort Shu was a believer, of the religion 'only she has good looks among all women'. There was so much telltale, yet Li Lian missed them.

“Hurry up!” what she assumed to be Court Lady Nam’s voice commanded from the front, “It is late and the Grand General wishes to rest.”

Another thing. Why did they refer to him as the Grand General when he was the emperor?

Normally the security that stood at the entrance of the building would inspect everyone and what they carried to ensure their master's safety, but maybe due to their delay on this particular day, they just breezed in without any inspection.

When they entered the dark corridors, everyone scuffled toward the Grand General’s bed chamber. The chamber was huge, bigger than the opposite room she resided in when sick. It was empty, which meant that they would wait for him to come back from wherever he went.

Li Lian was overwhelmed by the shades of gold all around which was obviously the significance of who Grand General was. Everyone concentrated on their duties, she was doubtful that they noticed her slip behind the draped curtain which concealed an attached room.

This room had his clothes, blankets and random items. The maid who supervised her told her it was storage but she never dared to enter the room until now.

Girding herself against the wooden stand, she jumped on the wall. Li Lian was not fond of heights but if she failed to stick to the roof, she wouldn’t be doing Mistress Kei justice after all the training. With ease, she caught the roof pole and lifted herself so she would lay on top of it. It would be to her dismay if a guard looked up when they came to inspect the room. Grand Consort Shu’s chambers were normally inspected before she slept for spy intrusion, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they did the same for the emperor.

“Greetings Grand General!” The maids all said.

Li Lian's heart skipped a little. 'He is here, now. No second thoughts.'

“This servant made a tonic for Grand General.” Court Lady Nam's voice again.

“I will have that. The rest take it away. I am in no mood for snacking.” His voice was cold, hmm he never spoke to her like that.

Court Lady went on to say, “This servant shall then send in the concubine whose tag got picked.”

The emperor always did tag selection in which he decided which harem woman could serve him for the night. If there was going to be another woman coming in, then Li Lian might as well find another way to leave. She would strive for her mission on another day.

“I want to go through some memorials today. Send her in on another day.”

Relief.

“Your servants wish Grand General a peaceful night.” Li Lian imagined them bowing before him.

The curtain which led to the room Li Lian hid in, slid open and an eunuch popped his head in, looked around and left.

Inspection? Check.

When the fidgeting immersed the bedchamber, Li Lian dropped to the floor as silently as she could. She couldn’t wait to come down after they left, as then Grand General would pick upon her noise against the silent chambers causing him to come investigate her room. If he spotted her first, the element of surprise would be wasted.

Li Lian felt brazen as she stripped herself naked but after so many years wasn’t it this day that she had prepared for?

~Author's Note~

Yesterday was my birthday so I decided to upload one today, for some spoiling :) I thank everyone for your support.

S.V