Clean My Mess

Chapter 26

Wei Li Lian
Princess Le-anne
Imperial Gardens

The imperial gardens were one of the finest; greens in every corner, birds flapping around in the air and a maze of flora littered all over. Every breath one took in the place ignited a sense of peace and amity with nature. However, this beauty was not significant to Le-anne, as this place had become a harbour in which she, General Feng and random allied spies regularly exchanged letters and information.

"Did you check on Ai and let her know that I might ask for her soon?" The princess indistinctly enquired as soon as she spotted General Feng. She then looked around again to make sure no one was eavesdropping from nearby.

"Your Highness," he replied before proceeding to roughly pull her to him and shove her against the tree.

His quick action caught her by surprise. "Excuse me!" Le-anne objected angrily, huffing for air. She struggled to get free, but he was far stronger than her and unmoved at her attempts. She felt a swell of indignance. It was unacceptable of him more than anyone else to treat her this rudely.

"Doesn't this feel familiar, my princess?" he mocked her, "Any deja vu moment?"

Le-anne's eyes bobbed open in surprise. She did not understand why he was acting so different towards her, considering that he knew that she was royalty and all.

"General Feng!" she rebuked him discordantly.

He gave a soft chuckle of disbelief. "What now? You don't remember?" He nudged her chin up with his free hand so she could meet his gaze. "Or what? Do you want me to woo you with exquisite words then attempt kissing you so that you can remember?"

His words only served to puzzle her. She had done nothing romantic or really anything to indicate that she carried feelings for him, so why was he being so emotional?

"Let me go right at this moment," she demanded sharply.

"Or what, princess? Or what? You will kick me too?"

This finally got her to cease her struggles and still for a minute.The only man she had kicked recently was... the Grand General. Did this mean he had seen them together that day? But that was long back... why would he react to old news now?

Le-anne's cheeks darkened with embarrassment at the prospect of someone having watched her and the Grand General. That man was part of her personal life and had nothing to do with their mission, so why talk about him?

She leaned away and said, "You reek of alcohol." She sized him up in disappointment, choosing to ignore the elephant in the room.

"Must I remind you that the main reason why you are here is for you to become empress and not his secret woman?" He was not going to drop the subject.

Le-anne looked at him angrily. She was already doing everything she could do to bring herself closer to that goal every day. How dare General Feng make false assumptions toward her when she was trying her hardest? And bringing up the topic about the Great General, what did he have anything to do with all of it? It's not like she had any desire to do anything with that man.

"Am I not working towards this?" Any moment from thence, her temper would break forth.

He laughed out loud and clutched his stomach as he drew away from her. "By what? By having forest meetings?"

Le-anne felt befuddled. A secret woman was one who met privately with her beloved, who was only known as his lover and not known by the world. If she was the emperor's secret woman then it meant they had rendezvous meetings like the ones she had with the Grand General previously, but this was not the case, so why did General Feng consider her as one aiming to be the emperor's secret woman?