Unrequited Love

Chapter 24

Princess Yang Liu currently known as Prince Kuan Hui
Imperial Prince's chambers

"How do you think the general would react if he saw me?" the princess wondered aloud. She raised her arms then twirled around, making her skirt flare.

One of the maids responded with flattering words, "Your Highness, the general would go blind because no one is worthy of seeing her grace's beauty."

"Her Highness is a goddess," another added; then the rest murmured some of their own sentiments and giggled excitedly.

The princess pursed her lips and stared at herself in the mirror, trying to make different faces. Her obsidian black hair was held up by extravagant gold pins that sparkled in the dimmed room, complimenting her flawless features. Although her sea-nymph ears still stood sharply, she felt beautiful with all the fancy things that girls wore: jewelry, makeup and colorful fabrics.

Feeling giddy, she started walking back and forth across the room, imagining herself walking towards General Feng.

She sighed, 'General Feng, if only you could feel this unconditional love of mine.'

At twelve summers, she had just started her menstrual cycle when she realized that she was not like the other boys. Although she was naive then, she had still not understood how a boy could bleed from down below. Her mother, although having come so far with all her lies to convince her that she was like the other boys, had then spilled the beans.

Confused, heartbroken and feeling betrayed, her life became unbearable. She began to think that if she died, maybe in her next life she would finally be able to live up to her true gender.

Her late father, still clueless about the web of lies, had one of his skilled men help improve her swordsmanship and archery. This was to help her not lose face as a prince since it was unacceptable for a prince to be lacking in gongfu.

Naturally, she had expected some old man to be her trainer, but surprisingly, it was a young man who had just come of age. Like a savior of her dwindling life, the young man shined light into her darkness. He defied her way of thinking, challenged her mindset, and changed her perception towards life.

At first, there was nothing out of the world about him. But then he gave her something that the rest of the world didn't: genuine love and friendship. He had no ulterior motives, no underlying intentions; nothing but genuineness. At that time it was enough for her, but as time passed, she grew up and changed and so did her desires.

"Your Highness! Your Highness!" A palace maid screamed into her sleeping chambers. "Your Highness! The General is here, and he insists on seeing you!" The assistant court lady tried to catch her breath.

Just like that, the mood in the room changed in an instant. Everyone gasped at the implication of the maid's words, panic taking hold of them. The princess was not wearing her men's clothing!

Princess Yang Liu was the most alarmed, as she immediately stopped pacing and started freaking out on the inside. 'General Feng, the man who makes my heart beat, my so-called trainer, the love of my life, is here to see me...while I'm dressed as a woman!'

It was frightening and strange, but at the same time, a little exhilarating. Her cheeks flushed at the thought. It was all the more special that he would be the first man she would see that morning.

Suddenly, she heard his voice. "Your Highness!" His hoarse voice sounded muffled from the outside. And like cold water on one who is sleeping, she was jolted back to reality; her heart wildly pounding in her chest. He was right outside, and there was no time for her to change into man's clothing!