Oliver

They say that the opinion of others is worthless compared to your own.

Most people would care what Madelyn Reece posts about them all over social media, but I couldn't care less about what she has to say about me.

And as far as I'm aware, her social media is blowing up with nothing but lies about Sarah and I.

"Hey Alice, wait up!" Oliver's voice echoed through the busy hallway, the sound of his feet hitting the floor barely audible over all the students as he ran to catch up. I didn't look back, but I slowed down enough to make catching up easier.

When his tall figure appeared to my side and he stopped running, I finally looked up at him.

His dark hair was in it's usual wavy mess, his blue eyes bright against his pale skin. He wore his usual style of clothes: a tee shirt, an open plaid shirt over it, jeans, and vans. As usual he also had his beaten up messenger bag that he prefers over a backpack.

"Is it true that you stood up to Madelyn?" Oliver asked over the noise, sounding beyond excited for the most recent gossip.

"I did." I laughed lightly. "Sarah's the real hero though, she dumped a slushy drink on her head before she walked out." I added, laughing a little harder.

Most people who know Sarah think she would never do something like that. But as her best friend, I know it's something she would do to anyone who pissed her off. She's sweet, but she doesn't ever let people take advantage of her.

"Wow, I wish I could have seen that." He continued to laugh with excitement, adjusting his shoulder bag.

"I wish I could have to, I walked out right before she did it." I smiled, proud of my best friend.

We walked in silence for a few seconds, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Oliver and I managed to become decent friends over the last few weeks. The hallway was filled with the sound of students talking, and lockers slamming shut. Then out of nowhere, Oliver grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the wall where we would be more out of the way.

"Alice, I was wondering if you would want to go on a date with me tonight?" Oliver asked eagerly, still excited from everything. But at his invitation, my heart ached and my excitement died.

Even though Oliver was the one asking me out, Peter came to mind. We may not be officially together, but my feelings haven't dulled and he's still my best friend. My heart ached for the hope that one day, Peter would swoop me off my feet and take me away from everything that threatens me on a daily basis.

"I'm sorry Oliver, I don't think of you that way. As far as I'm concerned, you're just my friend, nothing more." I explained slowly, failing to avoid the situation turning awkward. He no longer beamed with excitement, and instead his expression dropped in disappointment.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. You're just really cool, and I really like you. I guess I just thought you felt the same." He explained. I hated seeing him sad, and it hurt more knowing that I was the reason.

He watched me for a moment longer, never taking his eyes off mine. Then without a word, he pulled away and slowly began heading in the opposite direction.

"Wait, stop!" I half yelled, grabbing his arm. He quickly stopped, and turned back to me in surprise. I dropped my hand back to my side, and plastered on a convincing smile. "I may not like you in that way, but maybe we can still go as friends?"

I held eye contact, and watched as his disappointment turned to hope.

"Yeah, that would be really great." He agreed with a warm smile this time, happy that things worked out. "Can I pick you up at 7?" Oliver asked, shifting in his place.