Heartless Killer

TRIGGER WARNING

...

Why is Physics class so boring?

I sat in the back of the classroom, carelessly playing with my new silver band bracelet under my desk. I've had it for over 2 months now, and I still haven't figured out all of the features he included.

"Alice!" The teacher snapped. I jumped, startled, and sat straight up in my chair. Carefully, I fumbled with my bracelet until the holographic orb disappeared.

Ms Cohen was staring me down intently with her beady eyes and pursed lips. She was a very thin woman and so wrinkled you could almost see her facial bones. Dyed brown wisps of hair framed her face. She seemed so frail that you could push her over and she'd break.

"Miss Stark, just because you're Tony Stark's daughter doesn't give you the right to not pay attention in class." She snarled.

"But, I already know all of this material. I just needed to take this class again because the credits didn't all transfer from my last school." I protested, trying my hardest to sound innocent.

If there's one thing I'm scared of, it's Ms Cohen.

"Oh? Then why don't you explain to me what we've been talking about for the last 20 minutes?" She pressed, trying in vain to sound sweet. I took one look at what was on the whiteboard and fortunately, it was something I'm quite familiar with after years of helping and watching my dad work.

"Nuclear Physics. And to be more specific, radioactivity. Radioactivity is the process in which an unstable nucleus emits charged particles and energy." I smiled. Several of my peers laughed.

Slowly, without breaking eye contact Ms Cohen made her way towards me.

"What's a radioisotope?"

"An atom containing an unstable nucleus." I replied, she leaned in closer, determined to trip me up.

"What's an alpha particle?"

"A positively charged particle made up of two protons and two electrons." Her pursed lips turned to a frown.

"Beta particle?"

"An electron emitted by an unstable nucleus."

"What are elements with atomic numbers greater than 92?"

"Transuranium elements. And ma'am, I don't think you should be asking me questions about things my peers have yet to learn." I added, smirking up at her. She scowled and more of my peers giggled. 

"Detention, after class." She said flatly, walking away.

"What?" I half yelled, throwing my hands up in protest. She ignored me and resumed teaching class. I slumped back in my chair. A few minutes later, we received a message over the intercom.

"Attention students and teachers, we will be going on lock down immediately. Remain in your classrooms until further notice. Teachers, refer to your protocols." 

Students scrambled out of their desks. One turned the lights off and locked the door as all the students scurried for cover. Most of the students sat against the wall by the door while a few curled up under desks. There was a lot of confusion, though no one seemed to panicked. That was until the gun shots started.

My peers all fought desperately to stay quiet though many of them were shaking and crying silently. Each gunshot got louder until we knew for sure our assailant was on our floor.

I must have some sort of a death wish.

I clawed my way out from under my desk, and bolted for the door.