A Night to Remember

I never really wondered what it felt like to be a barbie doll. But as I got ready for prom, I finally understood.

Well, while they got me ready for prom.

Pepper did my hair while Natasha did my makeup, and Wanda sat on my bed just enjoying the company. Natasha kneeled directly in front of me as she worked, using my lap as a table for all of her makeup. I was mildly alarmed when I realized how much there was, and even more so when I realized that I didn't even know what half of it was.

All I really knew from Pepper's end is that she was curling my hair. I could feel her hands as she worked, and I enjoyed the familiar feeling from when I was younger. Occasionally, her baby bump would touch my back and make me smile.

I never really thought about having siblings. It was always just my dad and I. It was weird enough when he and Pepper got married, and I get the feeling it will feel the same when the baby gets here. But my dad is always there to remind me that it's still the two of us together, we're just adding a few more people to our team. It's so simple, yet it's so comforting to know he isn't moving on without me.

I didn't dare move an inch as Pepper and Natasha got me ready unless they told me to. The three of them seemed to be having a nice conversation with a lot of laughing, but I was too nervous to really pay attention.

After what felt like hours, Pepper and Natasha announced that they were finished. Wanda slid off of my bed to come and join us, and Natasha cleared all of her makeup off of my lap. I was finally allowed to move, but every muscle in my body ached as I did so.

I had training with Natasha this morning, and then with Doctor Strange right after that. I guess neither of them thought that prom was a good enough excuse to miss training. I will say, they didn't go nearly as hard on me as they usually do. 

But Natasha definitely left some bruises.

Pepper rotated my chair around to face me towards the mirror. I was speechless.

The makeup was flawless, and I didn't look like a porcelain doll like I feared. My eye makeup accentuated my eyes more, and my face in general looked more structured. I was nervous about the lipstick, but the deep red lipstick really pulled the entire thing together. I had soft ringlets of dark hair around my face, and the rest of it was pulled into a textured updo.

Suddenly, what felt like hours sitting in a chair was worth it.

"Okay, let's go get you in your dress!" Pepper exclaimed excitedly.

My body ached as I carefully got out of my chair, but fortunately I felt fine once I was on my feet. Natasha took a step back to allow me to pass, and I realized that Wanda was already at my closet. She stood in the doorway, modeling with the dress still on the hanger to show it off. I laughed, making my way towards the closet.

The four of us went prom dress shopping a few days ago, and I'm pretty sure I tried on around 50 dresses before we found a dress that we all liked. It was an A-line burgundy dress with a beaded top and a shear material that came to the floor. Originally they wanted to put me in heels, but I couldn't walk 4 feet in them without face planting. So instead, we settled on a pair of black booties.

Once my dress and shoes were on, I put on a simple silver necklace with a small diamond pendant that my dad got me as a gift a while ago. In addition, I put on a pair of dangly silver earrings that fell nicely with my curls.

I could only assume by everyone's reactions as I walked out that I had exceeded their expectations.

Wanda hid her previous smile behind her hands, and Pepper looked like she was on the brink of tears. Natasha was as unreadable as ever, but her eyes smiled just as brightly as she did.