Chapter Fifteen

Given the rarity of such a huge hoard of spirit talkers gathering in one place, to avoid any potential suspicion, all families have left the city before the sun rises the next day. We hear little from anyone over the following week or so.

There are a few false alarms where someone thinks a dark spirit might be related to Connor, but nothing with much substance behind it. Despite a lack of progress, it's at least reassuring to know people are actively looking now. The Medakis have seriously loosened my house arrest too, so I'm almost living like a normal person.

I had a major off day yesterday where my mood was so low that I couldn't see or speak to Annabel. Today is the anniversary of my family's deaths, so it's a fair assumption that the two are related. However, I must be a sick bastard because my mood is better this morning.

I can see and speak to Annabel, but it's hardly perfect because the banished voices are loud, and I can barely keep them under control. I'm nowhere near the natural state of unconsciously pushing them away that I've grown accustomed to. It's like I'm back to square one.

"It's okay if you want to take some for today." Annabel's whiny voice pleads in my ear. "Please, it'll help. It doesn't mean you're going backwards."

She's trying to convince me to drink one of Chiku's anesthetizers, but I'm gritting my teeth in refusal. It's been nearly two weeks since I drank any of that stuff, and I don't want to give in now.

"Why do you ignore us? Listen! Listen!"

I squeeze my eyes shut as I roll over in bed. I don't even feel that awful today, I just want the voices to go away.

"Felix, please."

"You can hear us! We know you hear us!"

I push and push and push, and it half works, but not well enough. The voices murmur, and another screech breaks through. I know I'm being dumb and Annabel is right, but it's frustrating. Another scream echoes in my head, and I do it. I give in. I'll just drink one of Chiku's stupid anesthetizers.

Complaining to Annabel the entire time, I drag myself out of bed and make my way downstairs. I huff into the kitchen and take one of the bottles from the fridge, then down half of its contents.

"I thought you didn't need that anymore."

"Jesus, what is it with people creeping up on me?" I snipe as I turn to see Jamie sitting at the kitchen table.

"I was here when you walked in, you moron."

"Alright, Jay, don't bite my head off over it."

"Jamie," he hits back.

Ugh, I'm not in the mood for this. What's he even doing here? It's, like, eight in the morning. I glance down at my phone in my hand. I mean, it's, like, two in the afternoon. How the hell is it two in the afternoon? I spent all of yesterday in bed not sleeping, so maybe this is my body's way of catching up.

"I thought you didn't need that anymore," Jamie repeats as he nods at the bottle in my hand.

What is this? Interrogate Felix day or something? I don't give him the satisfaction of an answer, and instead, just shrug. He rolls his eyes, then starts aggressively typing away on his laptop. It's really, really irritating.

"Just give in! Stupid child!"

I wince, and Jamie being the goddamn eagle eye he is, notices immediately. He stops typing, and his peepers stare at me over his laptop screen. I don't give him much to look at, and pop Chiku's drink back into the fridge before pulling up a chair opposite him. I lean my head back and shut my eyes for a few seconds.