42 ♛ Unforeseen Events

Start from the beginning

His breath hitched in his throat. "Who?" he asked. "Long'Er?"

The way her name rolled off his tongue easily reminded him of how much he missed her. Nobody seemed to realise that she had posed as a man during her times as his bodyguard, except Ling Yao. He suspected it when she first appeared with Li Xun at the Hill of Death and confirmed it when he witnessed her familiar style of fighting. He was, after all, the one who supervised her training.

When confronted, it didn't leave Li Xun much of a choice but to tell him the truth.

"She's safe with the Intelligence Bureau. Once she has recovered from her injuries, I'll permit her to return."

"How? It's risky to let her remain as your bodyguard, much less be constantly around men all day long. You know the consequences."

Ling Yao was right. Li Xun hadn't seen her for over a month and terribly wanted to bring her into the palace, but not as his bodyguard. She couldn't remain in that identity by his side forever. To avoid anybody else from finding out about her secret, he had planned to erase her old identity and replace it with a new one.

However, when he spoke to his father about his love interest without revealing her name, he was met with an immediate look of disapproval.

"No, I cannot permit this. A girl from a common background with nothing that can strengthen our family's throne? She will be the cause of your downfall in the future."

Li Xun was about to retort that she was the one who saved the Empress's life, but he clamped his lips together tightly.

No. He couldn't endanger her life. If word got out that she entered the palace as a man, she would be severely punished for lying. A lie was still a lie. It wouldn't place her in a better light. And one should never expect leniency from the Emperor. He was, after all, a strict man who gave out unbiased punishments.

Needless to say, Li Xun was disappointed with his father's response but he wasn't giving up. He was going to find another way to bring Long'Er into the palace. To persuade his father to let him marry a girl of his choice.

And speaking about her... He hadn't gotten a chance to sneak out and travel back to the residence where she was temporarily housed. He was forbidden to leave the palace's grounds. Each time he attempted to do so, he was brought back to his quarters by the guards.

He knew it was his father's doing to stop him from seeing her.

Left without much of a choice, he resorted to writing a letter but it proved to be rather difficult because he didn't know how he should explain himself. And knowing how fast the rumours had spread, Long'Er would have definitely heard the news about the selection of his bride.

First of all, he should assure her that it would be nothing of concern.

She was all he cared about.

She was the one he wanted to be with.

Just as he was about to write his feelings down on paper, Eunuch Li entered his room to deliver a letter to him. He pulled it out from the envelope, his eyes running across the words that were clearly Minister Han's handwriting. Once he finished reading, he was certain his heart had plummeted to his feet.

What was going on?

What did Minister Han mean by Long'Er had quit being his bodyguard?

Was she mad at him? Because she thought he had forgotten about her?

Crushing the letter tightly in his hand, he stood up and called for Ling Yao. "We need to go."

His friend was alarmed by his pale expression. "Your Highness? Where are we going?"