Chapter 18

DEANNA'S POV

Crowley got to work on mixing ingredients that I had never seen before. I didn't even want to ask where Crowley got most of them. This spell was the most complicated I'd ever seen. Sam was tying down Dean for the ritual, and I was mentally preparing myself for the pain I was about to endure.

I remembered a memory that always helped me when I went through pain. Dad had ditched Sam and I at Bobby's for some case. I had finally decided I was ready for my first hunt solo. Before I left, Bobby gave me a piece of advice that I still hadn't forgotten. He said, "In this life, there's gonna be some days when you're gonna go through pain that you'd never even comprehended. When those days come, you're gonna drown it out. Focus on anything but the pain. Think of memories that, even in this life, make you smile. You do that, and even an idjit like you can make it through it." That piece of advice was what got me through Hell. That piece of advice was the reason I was still breathing today. I can still remember that dumb old smile Bobby had on his face while he watched me get into the car he had lent me. Dad, he would've kicked my ass and told me I wasn't ready and how dumb I was to leave Sam. Bobby though, well he was Bobby.

I actually had noticed I was smiling to myself. With everything going on, I thought I had forgotten what it felt like to genuinely smile. It disappeared when I saw Sam coming my way. I cleared my throat, "Dean still out cold?" I asked as I looked at Dean. He was handcuffed to a metal chair that was in a devil's trap. His shoulder was bleeding from what looked like a gunshot wound.

Sam nodded and sat down beside me. "Yeah, he'll be out 'til we get started. You feeling okay? Having any... ya know... homicidal tendencies?" he asked cautiously. I laughed at him and shook my head. "Just the Mark occasionally stinging. It's fine, though. The only thing I'm feeling is nerves. You sure about this? Crowley doesn't help others unless it helps him more in the end." Sam's expression changed. His eyebrows furrowed and his eyes formed a look of worry. "No, I'm not sure. The only thing I'm sure of is that I need to help my brother, and you. And Crowley is the only way I can do that."

I nodded and looked down at the ground. "Yeah... cause that's always worked well for us in the past." I said with a smirk. I looked back up at him. He rolled his eyes and shook his head, "Would it kill ya to be just a bit positive?"

I smiled at the fact that he actually thought this was gonna work out for everyone. When had that ever happened in our entire lives? "Why don't you ask Dean why I'm not jumping on the bandwagon." He glanced at Dean and laughed. "Yeah, good point."

I tore my attention away from Sam and looked at Crowley. He was doing this weird little dance as he was mixing the ingredients into a bowl. I chuckled and said, "You almost done over there twinkle toes?" Crowley looked up and glared. He smirked and nodded his head sarcastically. "As a matter of fact, I just finished." I nodded and stood up. Please, if one thing has to work out in our God forsaken lives, let this be it. I thought to myself. 

I walked to the metal chair surrounded by a devils's trap that Sam had set up for me. Dean was tied up right beside me in one just like it. He was still out. I sat in the metal chair and the cold metal sent goose bumps up my skin. Sam walked beside me and fastened the handcuffs on my wrists and feet. He took his place next to Crowley, who was standing directly in front of us.

"You ready, Squirrelette?" He asked. I tugged on the cuffs to make sure they were secure. After I had assessed there was no way I could get out of them, I nodded to Crowley and Sam. "Ready. Let's get this over with."