seventeen

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Why can't we meet him first?" I grumbled as I tightened a silencer around the end of the gun. Malcolm sent me a glare over his shoulder as I handed it to him. "You heard Dad's orders, Leila. Come off it." He retorted in slight annoyance.

             A frown settled over my lips. A day after being sent to the States, Father had a clear set of plans written out for us in a crumpled piece of paper that Malcolm had been given to by our chauffeur. We were to arrive at the hotel, rest, and await orders from the phone by this mysterious Harold Davison. He had heard of our successes back home and personally requested us for a job.

I called it "being purchased". I knew Father was did this in his own way to look out for us, but being shipped over international seas for a new permanent job? I couldn't comprehend why our own father would betray us like that. Perhaps it was for the dislike that was deeply rooted somewhere in his heart. Or the disappearance of Mum. I knew she was very ill, but no other information about her was given to me.

"Leah." Malcolm chided as he waved a hand over my face. I made a lazy attempt to swipe it away from me. "What is it?" I whispered, glancing at my older brother. His hair was growing out, curling at the bottom of his ears. It made him look less than Father, more bearable to stare at. His intelligent blue eyes stared at mine, holding many things that I couldn't understand. Malcolm nodded at me, a signal for me to continue.

Pursing my lips, I slid off a black leather glove. I gently pressed my fingertips to his temple, direct access to his mind. It was a small habit we had formed after our first job. Malcolm was petrified to go through with it so he asked me a favor, to search deep within himself if he had the actual courage to carry on with what we had to do. If he didn't, he had asked me to give him a little nudge to help settle things. Ever since, Malcolm never failed to have his mind checked by me.

My brother's mind was as recognizable as mine, I had gone through it countless of times. Even the structure was similar to mine, easier to navigate. Malcolm rolled his shoulders, inhaling deep breaths as his mind relaxed. I approached his thoughts and emotions carefully, mustering all of my concentration on not messing up like I had done to Leo. Her screams bounced off my memories, echoing throughout Malcolm's. He shuddered and I instantly pulled away in fear.

"What was that?" Malcolm said with a frown, blinking rapidly as his eyes cleared. I inhaled sharply as I dismissed those memories. "I... sorry. I didn't mean to." I said in a low voice. My brother nodded, looking at me with suspicion. "Are you sure you're up for this? I can report to this Davison bloke and tell him the job is done with." He offered. I glanced up at him, hating the way pity and kindness lingered in his face. I straightened, pulling my face tightly together.

"I can handle it, go on." I answered, jerking my chin toward the apartment door we stood in front of. Malcolm pursed his lips. As I took a step closer to the door, he placed a gloved hand over my shoulder. "Anything going up in that head of yours, you can talk to me about it, alright?" He told me in a murmur. I stilled, unaccustomed to him verbally offering any type of support. After a great deal of processing his words, I nodded, offering him a tiny smile.

With that, Malcolm clicked the safe off of the gun he carried. I slipped the bobby pin into the lock of the door, expertly jiggling it around as I turned the knob. The door finally unlocked, and we entered inside.

The small apartment was dark, not a soul in the area. Malcolm's breathing grew slightly ragged as he concentrated. I felt a strange sensation wash over me, the same one I had felt the day I escaped the Vault. Knowing I was covered by Malcolm's ability, I moved forward. The short hall led to a dainty kitchen. A fridge stood near me, pictures of three children and hideous art posted all over the surface. I immediately turned away, not giving myself a chance to feel guilty.