fifteen

I FELT EVERYTHING.

Every neuron, every molecule, every cell thrashing and zipping throughout my body. My eardrums vibrating at the sound waves moving down my auditory canal. The chemicals fusing and clashing to create my current emotions. The slightest movement of my pinky toe bone, cushioned by small muscle ligaments. Even the tiniest breeze that moved several hairs on my head.

It was amazing how much I could feel. The complete control of my brain had over everything that was inside of my body. I suddenly understood Edmond's tedious lessons about the brain. I could control everything.

Sometimes, I would even practice on Malcolm. I could block out sound whenever he spoke to me by accessing my auditory cortex. Or when Father yelled at me, I could stop the flow of chemicals building up within me. And even with Buford. When I got cut by his blade because I had lagged a few seconds late on my defense in weapon training, I would stop the flow of tears that always threatened to leak out of my tear ducts.

The amount of times I used my ability was growing at a slightly alarming rate. But I began to question how I could live my life without it. It definitely felt odd, to rely on something that merely two years ago I despised. It had begun to feel almost like a reflex, something I quickly went to whenever I couldn't solve my problem.

Every thought since birth was constantly moving throughout my head, drifting automatically to the different parts of my brain. Long term memories, short term memories, new memories, learning skills. I felt them all throughout my body. Even the feelings that were attached to them.

I thread carefully around my memories, exploring all of my brain's capacity. It surprises me every time I did so. The peace within myself was a new sensation. It was difficult to come by, with so many people in the house all day. I began to sink further into my own mind, amazed at everything that—

"Leah." The voice split through my head. The single touch on my shoulder shattered every memory and thought that I was wielding a few seconds ago.

"Ungh!" The word tumbled out of my mouth as my body plopped back on the ground. I blinked wearily against the morning sun, placing a hand over my eyes. The outline of a slender body came into view. The short black hair, the piercing blue eyes, the pasty skin.

"Malcolm," I growled as I stretched my legs out. "I told you to never interrupt me from meditating." Malcolm took a step to the side, blocking the sun. My pupils expanded, drinking in the view of my brother. He stared down at me with awe.

"I didn't know you could do that." He said. I began to push myself up, hating the way my brain sloshed around after every meditation session I had. I winced at the nausea that followed. Seeing my sluggish movements, Malcolm silently helped me to my feet. "Do what?" I grumbled as I dusted off my pants.

"Levitate. You were just hovering a couple of centimeters off the ground!" He exclaimed with wonder, staring at my legs as if I had just sprouted wings on them. "Well I do," I snapped. "Just a little though, when I'm meditating." Malcolm nodded, clearly impressed. He began to turn away, gesturing me to follow.

"Quick, Leah. Father has a job for us." He told me as I trudged behind him. "Another job?" I muttered as I began to loosen my hair.

It had begun as a favor. One of Father's friends got in deep trouble with some very bad people. Father sent Malcolm, Leo, and I after them. Malcolm lured them to us, Leo was in charge of the physical work, and I was in charge of wiping their memories. Father's friend recommended us to someone else, then that person to the next, the list continued to grow.

Although our work was against the law, people seemed to love the idea of a group of freaks cleaning after their messes. I didn't mind, honestly. It gave me the time and space to practice my abilities. Besides, we weren't cheap. Father had gained serious money ever since we started this. We could buy a few nice things if there was left over money.