sixteen

THE BUTT OF the gun cracked against my cheek. I stumbled to the side, dropping down to one knee. My head rang painfully, each rippling wave sending dots to dance across my vision.

            "Focus, darling." Miss Bea chided. I blinked rapidly, trying to clear my vision. "Beatrice, don't ya think you're being a bit harsh?" Buford asked as he stood over me. My fingers lightly grazed over my swelling cheek as I tried to catch my breath.

    Miss Bea huffed as her heeled boots clacked against the wood. "She needs to learn how to fight against bigger people than her. Not everyone is going to be Malcolm or Leo's size." She said tartly. My heart seemed to skip a beat at the mention of Leonara's name. Months had passed but it was still too soon.

I pushed myself to my feet, holding my cheek. "I'm fine, Buford," I said through my teeth. "Let us continue." The burly man lifted a brow at me. I frowned, lifting my hands into a fighting stance. He sighed as Miss Bea nodded encouragingly.

        "You've got a great spirit, love. Never lose that in a fight." Miss Bea said as she stepped back. I took a step to the side, watching Buford's legs and hands. The way he shifted his weight, thinking of his next move. For a big man, he lunged rather quickly.

    Sensing this, I sidestepped him and used his weight forward to shove him behind me. Buford leaned a little too forward, causing him to teeter. Using his clumsiness to my advantage, I send a foot to the back of his knee.

Buford fell to a knee but swung around full force. The gun in his hand came for my face but with quickly smacking his wrist on the right spot and twisting his arm at the right angle, the gun was resting in my hands and pointed towards him. I glanced at Miss Bea, smirking.

      She pursed her lips, folding her arms as she shook her head.

My own head snapped back as the heel of the palm slammed against my nose. Dropping the gun I staggered backwards. My head thrummed with new shots of pain sending frantic messages to my nerves. I quieted them down as I opened my eyes.

                   My vision blurred in and out of focus. Buford was standing before me once again, gun in his hands. "Just because you posses the weapon, never assume your opponent is finished with." Miss Bea reminded me with a few dissatisfied clicks of the tongue. My bottom lip curled in anger.

   Fine. She wanted me to end my opponent thoroughly? She'll have it.

I threw myself at Buford full speed. He immediately jumped into defense, blocking a jab to his chest. As his beefy hands closed around my elbow, I swiveled around and landed a kick at his groin. He hissed in pain as he stumbled back. Hearing Miss Bea's chuckles fueled my irritation.

         It was as if they both didn't think of me seriously. Ever since Leo had left my life I had been slacking. There wasn't a point in anything anymore. The lessons were harsher, longer, painstakingly empty. And she wanted to laugh?

Buford weakly made a grab for my wrist and I smacked the inside of his wrist away. I ran toward him as he staggered toward me. My fist flew to his side as his enormous hand closed around it I quickly used it as leverage to jump and spin.

        My foot connected to the side of his head. He stumbled to the side. I landed on my feet and plucked the gun from his hand. Buford made a grab for it and I dodged it swiftly. The fight became a quick and jagged dance. I found holes in Buford's defense, taking small jabs to weaken him.

    His moves were becoming slow and pathetic. Landing a blow at the back of his knee he buckled. Getting full momentum, I smacked the back of the gun to his head. He fell unsteadily to a knee and I pointed the gun to his forehead.