Luck of the Draw (Clover Ebi)

You had never been a fan of dressing up and partaking in politics.

You're not surprised that, due to your position, Ironwood deemed you important enough to attend a ball that neither one of you wished to go to, but if your superior was going to suffer for a few hours you figured you could too. There was the standard inane, unempathetic dribble that seemed to be the specialty of every rich person who attended the party, and then the people approaching you with a hungry look in their eye as they questioned exactly what you thought of Ironwood (you knew they were digging for a reason to drag him through the mud and you fluttered away from the conversations with grace). Your energy is draining much faster than you're used to as you eventually completely dissociate from the conversation you're having with some charming bearded man who thinks that Jacques Schnee is the best thing since sliced bread.

You would've stayed in such a state if a certain Ace-Op hadn't noticed you.

You glanced back just quick enough to meet Clover's eye after he'd brushed his hand against yours, snapping you out of your daydreams and bringing you back to the reality of the conversation; he smoothly invited himself in and the bearded man seemed rather pleased to have someone else to listen to his gushing. As far as you knew Clover hadn't been a fan of being forced to attend this either, but he'd still attended with a far more cheerful demeanor than you could muster. He stood closer to you than he needed to, your shoulder ever so slightly making contact with his arm while his hand seemed to be drifting in the personal space of yours. You don't think he'd be so bold as to grab your hand but you could feel his pinky brushing against yours, teasingly poking once or twice when it seemed you might begin to daydream again.

Your relationship with Clover was complicated.

You could never quite tell if the leader of the Ace-Ops was flirting with you or just being especially nice; he was a hard man to read and he didn't seem to mind. His presence had the tendency to make you nervous as you feel like you're constantly being scrutinized when he's around meaning when your 'fight or flight' sense begins to act up you always choose flight. You know he noticed how you acted around him and you were hoping he'd just keep it professional and mind his business, but apparently the luckiest man in the world didn't get the memo.

You excused yourself from the conversation and Clover followed suit, acting as a guide as he led you across the dance floor, hand solidly placed on the small of your back. You can feel your cheeks becoming flushed under his touch as if the almost hand-holding wasn't enough, and you find that he's guiding you away from the dance-floor towards a more secluded area. After a few more seconds he finds the perfect place to position the two of you, more towards the back of the room but still within view of the party should Ironwood come looking for you. But there was no chance of much attention coming this way as most of the interesting guests were across the room, which hopefully meant a few more moments of peace.

Well, it would be peaceful if you weren't stuck there with him.

"I hate how smug you look." Clover raised an eyebrow at this sudden statement from you but he doesn't look offended. "Everything you say and do makes me nervous."

"Good way or a bad way?" Your last confession did nothing to wipe that smug smile off his face, in fact, you think it might have grown wider. You can't meet his gaze and stare at the feet of the party-goers, pinching the material on your thigh and rubbing it soothingly between your fingers.

"...A good way."

He leaned over so that his shoulder pressed against yours, head tilted so he could get as close to your ear as possible without physically touching it with his lips, "Would it help if I told you that you also make me nervous?"

"A bit," You licked your lips, not sure if you wanted him to move away or stay as close to you as he was; you turned to face him and realize it's much better if he stayed this close. You could admire the beautiful color of his eyes far better when he was up close and personal like this even if your heart was ready to beat right out of your chest. "I don't believe you though. Why would I make you nervous?"

"Good question," This is a battle of wills that he has no intention of losing, and after your noses brushed, he wondered if you would let him kiss you in front of these countless people. There's not much attention being offered to you now that you're off to the side but...

"Hello, General! I never figured you as the partying type-"

You pulled away as the greeting for Ironwood is far too close to your liking and Clover sighed, knowing the moment was done for the night and that you were more than likely going to retreat back into your shell.

The good luck just couldn't activate when he wanted it to, could it?  

Love (And Other Difficulties)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें