Chapter 18: Man in Shadows (Revised)

Shiro

After that incredible show Alfred put up, we were to take first place off of Fortis. We were finally in the lead. A surprise everyone is not expecting. The best place to start is zero. And indeed it was true. For nearly years, we haven't been able to win the tournament. Now, we have a chance to take the trophy home with us.

The first match of the day begun. The machine slots started to roll again, each with anticipation and drums rolling. It stopped at Reiki's face which meant he would be in the one to fight today. I gazed at him beside me and saw a moving glower in his eyes. Concentrating.

"Relax and take it easy." I advised. "I know you can win this."

Lumingon siya sa akin at nanlambot ang mga tingin niya. I smiled back and gave him an assuring nod. Kahit sino pa man ang makalaban niya, wala akong dapat ikabahala. Reiki is strong and no one actually saw his full power.

The other slot stopped, revealing his opponent. Another Fortis vs Clove match. It's the second one in the tournament. It stopped to a person we have no information of. Fortis' most mysterious representative, Wrath Medona. We had no information about him whatsoever. I know judging the book by its cover is a bad habit to have but he gives me the dark vibes.

I could sense danger around him. That he might bring or lead people to danger. Yet, from where I stand, all I could see is an innocent and lonely guy. I don't know what's up with him, but I could sense an incoming danger from him. Hindi lang 'yon, I could feel an ominous aura coming from somewhere. Its wasn't coming from him nor any of us.

Bumaba si Reiki sa arena at nag-unat-unat bago ipakita ang sarili. I bid him good luck before he disappeared. I have a strong feeling that things are not going to go well.

Sheena

I can feel danger around Reiki's opponent. He's up to something not good and I'm not sure what it is. He might look innocent but looks can't fool someone like me. I'm the person who don't judge someone by their appearance. A hood cloaked under his head which made it harder to see what he looks like.

Why is my gut feeling telling me there's something bad going to happen behind the scenes?

From the corner of my eye, a shadowy figure emerged from the crowd. It disappeared immediately that rise my suspicions. The figure stood at the back of the crowd, on the other side of the arena. Is it a coincidence that it showed up at a time where I'm having suspicions on the person below?

The crowd cheered as soon as the match begun. Hahayaan ko na lang sana ito para i-cheer ang team namin. The figure keeps bugging me, like it's trying to get my attention. I'm not sure why but I think confronting them would be the best thing to do.

Kahit na mukhang delikado ang gagawin ko, I forced myself to check out the figure. I excused myself from the others, making sure not to arouse suspicions.

"May pupuntahan lang ako." paalam ko sa kanila.

Where are you going? It's 'your' Reiki's match," Alfred blurted. Ugh, seriously? Can't they get enough of that? I'm sick of hearing it.

"I don't care about his match and I'm going to the restroom." I bragged. "And besides, he already belongs to someone..." I glanced at Shiro and averted it right after. "And if I don't come back after the match, I probably ran into some trouble."

"You're not cheering for him?" Mai asked.

"He doesn't need it. Shiro's cheer is enough for him." banggit ko.

I know that part of them already forgave me, but I know they still feel hatred against me. And I don't blame them for it. Especially not when I did something so terrible in the past. I could hardly show myself in front of them of how much regret and guilt I feel.