Epilogue: Paper

George

"What do you think of these two covers? Which one do you like best?" She asked from across my room, sitting at my desk.

"The one on the right." I said, picking a side at random, not looking up.

I heard her laugh and felt momentarily guilty, but I had so much work to do.

Another half an hour went by and I still hadn't finished making notes on the chapter.

"Right, cover is finally done. I just need to edit the back page and then I'll be done." Cassie said aloud, her voice velvety and excited. "I'm so looking forward to this one, I tried really hard with the article."

I stared at the words on my computer screen in disbelief.

"George?"

Finally, I looked up.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

She rolled her eyes, but smiled warmly at me, honey-coloured eyes shining.

"Give yourself a break babe, you're not gonna learn anything if you're stressed." She told me, climbing onto my bed and shutting my laptop.

"I'm not stressed." I said, but then sighed. I needed to stop denying my emotions. "I mean I am, but it's just because I don't understand it. And I'm not used to struggling with the readings."

My ego always got the better of me.

She nodded and removed the device from my lap and snuggled herself up to me, running her fingers rhythmically through my hair.

I closed my eyes, sinking into her. Her rich scent, her soft skin, her radiating warmth.

"Sorry."

"Don't say sorry." She chastised gently, pulling my arms so they were around her waist. I clung to her. "I don't have to go to the party tonight. Instead we can have a bath or something? Or... I can get a bottle of wine and I can put on some lingerie and we can relax together."

I didn't answer, because I didn't want her to go. I wanted her with me. But I couldn't let her miss out on a party if she wanted to go.

"Emilie won't mind. I saw everyone yesterday at our meeting anyway." She decided.

I nodded. "Thank you."

She wrapped her warmth around me tighter and I felt the stress of third year dissertation steadily seep out of my body.

"I'm desperate for Chinese." I admitted. "Can we go and get some?"

"Oh my god do you mean Happy House? I fucking love that place, yes let's go!" She jumped off of me and went towards her bag. "Hold on let me just get changed. Can't be going out in my skivvies."

Had she been sat writing and editing her magazine in her underwear and a t-shirt all afternoon? Yes she had.

I loved her self-confidence and comfort as much as I hated that it tempted me into distraction.

"I don't know what dress to wear. Which do you like best?"

She held up three dresses that I assume she'd brought to wear for the party.