Chapter Seven

PARANORMAL,CHAPTER SEVEN

PARANORMAL,
CHAPTER SEVEN

THE MOMENT SCOTT said those words, the entire group got to work. If it was an infestation, they needed to act quickly. If they didn't, it could be the end for them all. An infestation meant there was a leak. The veil had torn somewhere, and this place had become a demon hot spot, Salt littered the floor, the scent wafting up to greet them. They burned sage in the windows. Anything to keep them in.

Now they were evacuating the home, only for now. Scott had said he desperately needed to get to the museum. What for, he hadn't said. Either way, he couldn't have anyone left in there. It was dangerous.

Libby was helping Ms. Gilinsky down the steps. They'd learned her name was Rosie. "Do you like tea, dear?", Libby was asking.

"No, but I like you. So, I guess it's acceptable."

Scott scrunched his nose. "Gross. Grammy, don't fuck my client."

"No promises, dear!"

"Grandpa is probably rolling in his grave", Thalia snickered.

Scott usually would have laughed. Tonight he just looked tired. Dark circles had appeared beneath his eyes. Speaking of his eyes... They just looked so empty. Void. It was like Scott had died, and his body simply refused to give up. The group piled into the van. Dying leaves crunched beneath their tires. Beverly looked out the back window at the receding house. He swore he saw the darkness wink at him.

They arrived at the museum, where a bored girl sat behind a desk. "Museum's just closed. Come back tomorrow." She was one of the poor teens who got roped into giving tours or hand stamps for the day. She hated her job. But she didn't like leaving until the guards changed shifts.

Scott ignored the warning, just walked straight up to her. He tilted down the magazine so he could just barely see her eyes. "Oh God, you're Scott and Thalia Reynolds." She glanced over at Mason. "Is that... is that thing on?"

"Always", Scott hummed. "Look, my friends and I just really need to get in here. You know, have a look around. Is there any way you can let us in?"

"Just to look around", the girl nodded, almost in a trance.

"There's an urn that I need to find, Latin inscriptions. Seen anything like it?"

She slowly shook her head. "No, but I can look."

Thalia rolled her eyes as she watched her brother scribble something down on the girl's magazine. Idiot. He just had to flirt with the stupid bottle blonde bimbo, didn't he? Still, he returned triumphantly. "Fan out. Find anything you can in here that's written in Latin. We need all the help we can get. You find anything on Cor Custodis, you take it to Estelle immediately, got that?" The group began to fan out, but he pulled Hal to the side. "Take Mason and find the alarm, let him work his tech stuff — no camera. We get caught stealing in here, and we're fucked." Hal nodded, taking Mason's hand and leading him away.