048 : precious life

( 048 )PRECIOUS LIFE❝ IT COULD'VE BEEN SO MUCH WORSE ❞

( 048 )
PRECIOUS LIFE
❝ IT COULD'VE BEEN SO MUCH WORSE ❞

NEARLY THREE HOURS LATER, TOM AND ZENDAYA WERE AT LONG LAST IN THE HOSPITAL, RUNNING TO THE WARDS THEIR SIGNIFICANT OTHERS WERE IN. Tom hadn't heard from Scarlett since he could hear their son being born over the phone, and the last Zendaya heard, Oliver still hadn't woken up. When the pair reached the hospital, they separated so Tom raced to the maternity ward and Zendaya ran to the trauma ward.

Beyond breathless at this point, Tom managed to ask a nurse where his wife and children were, when just on time a doctor wearing a white lab coat over her scrubs approached Tom, a concerned look on her face. "Mr Holland?" She asks, and Tom nods, walking in the direction the doctor went, where she took him to presumably his office.

"Why are we here? I want to see Scarlett." He demands, sweat pouring off his forehead in both extreme anxiety and from running non-stop for the last five minutes.

The doctor calmly nods, a cold poker face expression. "Of course, I just thought it'd be best to let me explain to you the extent of what happened to your wife and babies."

Eyes widened, Tom sits down on the seat that was opposite to where the doctor was perched in shock. He runs a distressed hand quickly through his disshevelled hair, a large breath leaving his mouth. "Oh no, has something happened?"

"That's why I'm here, Mr Holland, I'm just going to explain what's going on, and everything won't be such a big shock to you." The doctor says in the same poker face, but her voice tone had altered to a more gentle one. "While Scarlett did successfully give birth to your son, the twins are 6 weeks premature, and his blood pressure is very high and he's come out with jaundis. Nothing a short period in an incubator won't fix while he continues to grow, but he needs to remain here for a few months."

Tom screws his eyes shut, his hands falling into his face. He wished for so long that the babies would be okay when they would be born, and now at least one of his two children has to live in the hospital for months in order to just survive.

He quickly snaps his head off, pushing aside his worry for his son to make space for two more anxieties. "What about my daughter, and Scarlett?"

The doctor sits silent for a moment, her hands, which were folded over together, now wringing as she takes a few deep breaths, as if she was preparing to say something that would scare Tom more than he was already petrified. "Scarlett seemed fine because she was talking to paramedics and firefighters through the car, the only one awake, but in truth she has broken both of her legs in several places, her right wrist and forearm, and five broken ribs. The labour and trauma from the birth of your son was exhausting for Scarlett, and while she was in the ambulance, she went unconscious and her heart rate dropped very low. Your daughter was delivered via an emergency c-section, she also needs an incubator, but apart from needing to grow, is otherwise fine."