21 ➳Answers*

As I stared out at the vast ocean in front of me, Daniel came up from behind and draped a cloak over my bare shoulders

.
.
.
As I stared out at the vast ocean in front of me, Daniel came up from behind and draped a cloak over my bare shoulders. The weather was surprisingly colder than normal. Instead of beads of sticky sweat, there was a trail of goosebumps on my skin.

"You were awfully quiet at breakfast this morning," Daniel mentioned as he sat down next to me on the sand.

I pulled the cloak tighter around my body, "I just have a lot on mind. Plus I didn't get much sleep last night either."

Even after I left the pool, Brandon's screams continued to echo through my ears. It was as if I could feel every bit of his agonizing physical and emotional pain. It took awhile for the pain to numb out into nothingness, but I still had a fitful rest. Did Pan experience the same?

"Do you know what happened to Pan this morning?" I asked Daniel.

He takes sudden interest in the sand. "He probably had his own business to attend to," he shrugged. "Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering, that's all,"

Daniel looked at me inquisitively but shakes it off. "Pan's a big boy, he can take care of himself. You don't have to worry about him."

I bit down on my lip. But I am worried about him. I watched him relive a traumatic experience that no one should ever go through. I saw one of his deepest regrets, I know his secret. If it were even possible, I have a feeling that he'd surely take it to the grave. I afraid afraid if he doesn't open up, he'll destroy himself.

"Are you sure you're okay, Cass," he questioned again as he noticed my blank expression.

I nodded and feigned a reassuring smile, "Daniel, I promise you, I'm fine. I think I'm just going to work on my crossbow now."

I picked myself up and dusted the sand of my trousers. I would've invited Daniel to join me, but I wanted to be left alone with my thoughts. Who was I kidding, I needed a distraction from my thoughts. How long will it be until Pan's secret destroys me too?

.
.
.

"Hey, Peter, it's me, you're probably still trying to figure out this whole cell phone stuff, but when you get this, give me a call or text me. Or I'll be at the library, so you can just meet me here. Ok? Bye."

I ended the voicemail and shoved my phone back into the pocket of my jacket. The smell of paper and worn leather filled my noise as I opened the door to the old library. It was practically a ghost town, there wasn't even anyone at the circulation desk. With no one to guide me in the right direction, I didn't exactly know where to begin, so I wondered into the history and reference section. Someone once told me, when in doubt, look to history for the answers.