8 ➳Falling*

I pulled my cloak tighter around my body as I reentered the camp

.
.
.
I pulled my cloak tighter around my body as I reentered the camp. It was past dinner, and I was sure everyone was wondering where Theo and I were. I glanced behind me, hoping to see his brown hair and blue eyes following along.

Nothing, but trees and bushes.

I sighed as I continued to trek along the path. Once I was in the camp's perimeters, I looked around for the rest of the boys. There was nobody in sight. I assumed they retired to their huts and finally relaxed my tense shoulders. I turned to sneak back into my own hut until I bumped into something hard. I stumbled back and stared up to meet a pair of unforgettable, emerald eyes.

Great, just great. Out of all people I could run into, why him?

Pan crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow, "And where have you been?"

"I... ummm... I was...," I stuttered as I struggled to gather my words.

"Cass? You're back," I spun around and saw Zach walking up to us, "Where's Theo?"

Pan's eyes widened at Theo's name, and he peered down at my muddied boots, "Don't tell me he took you up there." At that point, I was gapping like a fish as I ruined my cuticles.

"Cass," Pan asked slowly, "Where is Theo?"

"I'm right here."

We all turned towards Theo voice and saw him approaching us.

"Did you or did you not go up there with Cassandra," Pan questioned as he glared at him.

Theo shrugged, "So what if I did?"

"What were you thinking, Theo?!" Zach exclaimed clearly upset.

"Why did you go up there?" Pan asked through clenched teeth, "I don't need anybody else falling from that damned cliff!"

"I've been to Dead Man's Peak a hundred times before Brandon's incident," Theo shouted back, "It wasn't until you came along that someone 'fell' off!"

"Fell? I thought you said Brandon jumped," I whispered to Zach.

"He did. Pan knows that very well. He just hasn't accepted it yet."

.
.
.

Evelynne lead me through a tunnel in the mines. I tucked my hands into the front pocket of my black sweatshirt as I felt a chill along my spine.

In my research, I discovered that the mines under Storybrooke had been abandoned for years up until recently. But even now, not many have come down here.

"We're almost there," Evelynne assured me as she noticed my superstitious expression.

I nodded wearily as I began to catch sparkles along the walls of the tunnels. The further we went, the more sparkles seemed to appear. I brushed my hand along the them and rubbed the glittery substances between my fingertips. Its chalkiness felt familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.