16 ➳Promise*

I clutched the small box tightly to my chest as I jumped through the portal

.
.
.
I clutched the small box tightly to my chest as I jumped through the portal. It led to the pond, exactly where we left off. My hand flew to my head, which is suddenly dry. Knowing that I was no longer drenched in the river water, I pulled out the other half of my heart from the leather pouch and shoved it back into my chest. I looked down at the box in my hand and a wide grin plastered across my face.

Before I could wave my hand over it once more to free Peter, Emma spoke up, "Cass, we helped you get to the Underworld and save Pan, like you asked." The caution in her voice confused me as she continued, "Now, I need you to hand me the box."

She reached for the box, but I quickly snatched it away from her grasp, "What? Why?"

"Cass, please, I know you said you can control Pan but after everything he put Storybrooke through, everything he put Henry through, everything he put me through, it's just too risky," she desperately tried to reason with me.

I glimpsed toward Gideon, who seemed just as puzzled as I was, then back at Emma. She held out her hand for the box. I slowly backed away from both of them, my grip tightened around the box. The corners jabbed into the palms of my hands, but I didn't care; there is no way I was letting go of the box.

"Cass," Gideon called out and nodded at the trees behind us, "Run."

My legs didn't hesitate to listen and instantly headed in the direction of the forest. I could hear Emma yelling my name, but I don't stop running. I pushed the branches in my way only for them to swing back and scratch against my skin. My calves wanted to give out from the swimming and now the running. I could feel my rapid heartbeat in my ears. I spotted an opening leading to the beach at the end of the path and my pace quickened.

Once my feet reach the sand, I glanced back to see if Emma has caught up to me yet. I could still hear her frantic voice, but she was still far behind. I needed to open the box now.

I waved my hand over it just as I heard footsteps approach me. The top snapped open, releasing a large cloud of smoke, and its force pushed me back into the sand. I sharply sat back up as I watched the smoke swirl around in front of me.

I could make out a tall figure in the twisting cloud, but I had to turn my head away because the amount of light it was giving off. I pushed myself off the ground as the cloud finally burst, releasing sparks in the air.

Peter inspected his surroundings, still in disbelief of what was going on. When his eyes finally land on me, I immediately ran into his arms. He wrapped his arms securely around my shoulder as his fingers brushed through my hair.

I buried my head into his chest. He still smelled of sandalwood and sea salt. I grabbed fistfuls of the back of his jacket, not wanting to ever let go of him again.

"You found me," Peter whispered softly into my ear, sending tingles down my spine.

"I promised you I would," I laughed out.