II. Safe Haven

The sun had just barely set its rays upon the city of Ishgard. It peaked through the clusters of small clouds in the sky, making it a welcome sight to such a snow covered environment. Perhaps the sun was a presage of sorts, good or bad. Yet the bad was in your favor today, beginning with an obnoxious knock on your door.

You were already slightly awake but you had neither the strength nor willpower to rise from your bed. You were so excruciatingly exhausted that you hadn't even made time to change from yesterday's clothes. You were bundled at the corner of your bed, wrapped in a fetal position — sustaining enough warmth for the harrowing cold night. You were so comfortable at the moment that you refused to answer any doors. Then the knock came again. You opened your sleepy eyes at the second knock then closed them once more, hoping the visitor would take a hint and leave. And a third knock came, only much louder. They began to pound on your door. It startled you fully awake, unraveling your form from the blankets. You scurried over to the door, leaning your body against it after seeing a wave of black spots from arising so quickly. You hesitantly opened the door ajar, body still leaning against it for support, to see your guest.

"(F/N)!" Renji pushed open the door, making you stumble back and attempt a twist to catch yourself from the fall. You fell anyway as your back hit the stone ground, but your spine wasn't the main point of pain. Oddly enough, your ankle burned from the twist.

"Fuck! Are you alright!?" Without a moments pass, Renji was quick to be by your side helping you to sit up. "I can't believe I just did that.. Words.. cannot describe how sorry I am, (F/N). I was in a rush and.. and.. I didn't think you'd be hoverin' behind the door.." He gingerly wrapped his arm around you as support as he assisted your weight up on onto your feet.

"I'm alright, I'm alright," You lied. "It was an accident and I'm still groggy from waking up."

"You.. just woke up? But we gotta' go!" He looked to you, surprised.

"G-Go?" You dazed.

"Yes! You hadn't heard from anyone? We make way to the Western Highlands.. today," He clarified. "The airship is bout' to set off. The Temple Knights told us our camp isn't far but takin' to ship is safer. Not to mention it was per request from some commander that it was best to take leave in good weather. But in any case.. if you need to stay I completely understand since I may have just mangled your entire back just now.."

"No.. No, I'm fine! And we just got here! Are we all set about working alrea—" You interrupted yourself with a sudden heart animating realization. "—Did you just say commander?"

He blinked to double-take your question. "Yeah? Why do you ask?"

The airship voyage was surely short. Thanks to the good weather, the ride was also a pleasant one. Rays of sunshine peaked through the clouds and you appreciated the sight of Coerthas even more as the world around you lit up. There was no more mist to cloud your view.

As you and your accompanying guild members took your first steps at the encampment of Falcon's Nest, you revered the sight of the Western Highlands. Great, tall glaciers and mountains stretched far and wide creating somewhat of a valley, and Falcon's Nest was at its start. Familiarly, it resembled the forests of the Central Highlands. Difference being the entire area was only decorated in spectacles of ice, boulders, and rocky cliffs. It was hard to make out even a single tree nor any brush. How was there any means to harvest in such a barren wasteland?

As you just about completed unburdening the ship from supplies along with the other members and a few good knights, you gave a wandering eye around the camp for a place to sit. You took a moment to stretch your aches and rest your ankle, plopping down on a barrel. The pain hadn't subsided from your graceful fall earlier this morning and you suspected it wasn't going to heal any time soon with all this heavy work — not to mention the cold seeping into your clothes.