18

~~~
An: hey, sry for the delayed update; I've been — and still am — very sick. I'll most likely be going back into this chapter when I'm better to see if there are any errors, but for now, this is the best I can dish out. Again, I apologize for the belated update, and I'll try my best to get the chapters out. Pls enjoy 18.
~~~

Mind numbing pain riddled Rin's body as she came to, and a soft groan emanated from her throat as she attempted to open her eyes.

She squinted under the luminescent flare of the light on the ceiling, and felt a pang of soreness spread across her forehead. The remembrance of what had happened before she was knocked out propelled her into a sitting position, and Rin's sudden movement startled Deku out of the five minute nap he had fallen into.

He sprung to his feet after realizing that she was awake, and wrapped his arm tightly around her.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" He said, relieved as he nuzzled into the crook of her neck. Rin returned his embrace, but the tension in her shoulders was hard to miss.

"Where is Aizawa?" She asked once he pulled away, and looked him in the face just as his expression fell. "Papa? What happened?"

"He... hasn't come back yet," Deku said, sitting back down. "When you went unconscious, Mr Aizawa used his Quirk against your dad and gave us enough time to escape."

"He's still there?" Rin asked, panicked. Deku had to ease her back down when she tried to stand.

"You can't interfere, Rin. You're the one he's after," Deku tried, brow furrowed. "I know it's not easy just sitting around and waiting... but we don't really have much of a choice right now, okay?"

"Not okay," Rin said, pushing him away. "Aizawa... will get hurt. Papa will hurt him."

"Try not to think about that, Rin." Deku plead, and as he spoke, the infirmary door slid open.

"Ah, glad to see you're awake." Nezu said, appearing to be unphased despite Papa's sudden attack.

Rin crawled to the foot of the bed and sat on her knees as Nezu approached, and wrung the blanket in her hands.

"It appears that Poseidon has grown weary of your absence, Rin," he continued, placing a paw on top of one of her hands. "Eraserhead and a few others are working on pushing him back. You have nothing to worry about as long as you are here, alright?"

Again, Rin's brow furrowed, and she looked down. The mere thought of her father even looking at Aizawa made a familiar sense of fear invade her nervous system. The sensation of her body trembling under Nezu's touch made his usual aloof smile droop, and he slowly pulled his paw away.

"I'll see what I can do in gaining more information on the fight," Nezu told her, voice soft as he made his way back toward the door. "Please, stay here. I will be back soon."

Rin didn't utter a word as she watched him leave, and wrapped her arms around herself for comfort. Deku's gaze was locked on the side of her head as she stared down at her knees, and he realized just how helpless she was forced to be. It made his stomach churn uncomfortably and, as he moved to touch her shoulder, the lights above them suddenly turned off.

The unexpected darkness made them both jump, and in a flash, Deku was on his feet. His eyes flicked over toward where Recovery Girl was sitting, and she had a similar look to his own etched onto her aged face. The silence circulating inside the room was thick, and Deku watched as Rin arched forward, ears twitching for even the slightest bit of sound in the darkness.

A soft growl emanated from deep inside her throat as she shuffled off the bed, and Deku quirked a brow as she shifted toward the closed infirmary doors; clueless as to what she was listening to.