04 | Outside

❝She was sheltered, her mind under the roof that water dripped off of. The safety was unfamiliar, and for that she found sad.❞

When she woke up the next time, Cayce had disappeared

When she woke up the next time, Cayce had disappeared. There was a fading scent in the air, replaced by a new one, the same one clinging to her t-shirt. 

She wanted to open her eyes, stretch, and yawn, yet there was a part of her that couldn't bring herself to do so. There hadn't been time for mental preparation. She'd had no time to actually think about what she'd say.

Was it really only a little while before that she'd been with her family, still training for everything leading up to the moment where she would be forced to run? It felt like lifetimes ago already, but she already longed for it once again. She always had to have her guard up, even then, but at least then she knew she was safe.

She was used to having to calculate things, to carefully plan her next move and her cautious act. This was one of the times where she had time to think, but she had no idea what to expect. There wasn't necessarily a way to predict this. There had been no way to predict running into him.

"I know you're awake. I can hear your heartbeat."

His voice shocked her, nearly quiet enough to be a whisper. It was deep and rough, caressing her ears the way a piece of velvet would caress her body. It shocked her out of her thoughts, and she growled. If her heart hadn't been racing, it certainly was now. He was calling her out on her act, impatient.

Her body tensed for a moment, and she used the sudden movement in her body as motivation. It took a lot of willpower to get up, but she made sure that it looked as effortless as possible, yawning and opening her eyes. She wanted to snap at him but resisted the urge to do so for the sake of her innocent act.

The moment she fully opened her eyes, they locked on his form. It wasn't until she laid eyes on him that she understood that this was just a glimpse of the mate pull. Every cell in her body gravitated towards him, and the sudden urge to be near him, touch him, and talk to him was overwhelming.

Her first impression of him was that was he was gorgeous in a way someone should never be allowed to be. Her eyes were immediately drawn to his broad shoulders, and she gulped. From there, she couldn't stop her eyes from traveling along his caramel skin, clearly tanned from the sun, to his face. He wore a rather thoughtful expression, she thought, staring down at her. His eyes were a gentle brown, nothing giving away his thoughts. They matched his chestnut-brown hair, which was styled in an artfully tousled way. He had a thinner nose that almost countered the frame of his face, where a sharp jawline was located. She swallowed, then realized she had been staring for much too long and forcefully tugged her eyes from his form. Get yourself together, he's just a guy.

"Oh, don't stop staring on my account," his voice came yet again, amused. Her eyes flitted back as he spoke, and the corners of his mouth shot up, something that triggered a new feeling in the pit of her stomach.