Chapter 1: Travelling Companions

The Kingdom of Adreas
Year 106 of Leahra, Second Age

High King Felix of Erya watched the woman sitting on the opposite side of the carriage, staring out the window. His wife. After nearly three years of marriage, she still kept him at arm's length and it amazed him he'd convinced her to join him on this trip. He suspected the only reason she had relented was that they had visited her home kingdom of Adreas, settling a dispute between her father, King Samon, and the neighbouring kingdom's ruler.

Looking out the window, he wondered what she was thinking about. The vast farmlands that brought Adreas most of its wealth spread out before them as they travelled along the road back towards the city of Messina. He nodded to the captain of his King's Guard as Castel caught his eye. They would soon reach the forests, which Felix preferred, as he felt a little like a sitting duck travelling with no cover. Not that it should matter, since the Dark Disciple and the Dark God's zealots were long gone, and whoever remained had retreated to the Dreadlands north of Erya. But it was difficult to shake the memories of his time on the road with Isobel and Goddess Dhim. Always looking over their shoulders. Always waiting for the next attack.

Turning back to the stack of missives resting on his lap, he sighed. When he was still the Prince of Ler, he'd never had to deal with the boring day to day running of the kingdom, but since becoming High King of all of Erya there seemed to be an endless amount of issues to deal with, and reports and letters to read and respond to. Glancing up for a moment, he caught his wife looking at him. The reports could wait.

"I'm glad you agreed to join me on this trip," he said conversationally, hoping to entice her into a conversation. "It's been ages since you left Messina."

"I never felt comfortable leaving Mio with only nannies when he was so young."

He knew this excuse well. She'd used it numerous times during their time together. First, it had been her state as she expected him—she had conceived quickly, so their awkward couplings had been limited to a handful of times, thankfully—and later that she didn't want to leave him. Anything to avoid time alone with her husband.

"I know." A smile played at his lips as he thought of Mio. Say what you want about their marriage, but they had a beautiful two-year-old son. "I can't blame you. He's delightful. Still, I'm glad you came. We spend such little time together."

She smiled blandly, not rising to the bait. It was bad of him, but he couldn't help himself from needling her a little at times. She was always so prim and proper, and the playful side of him just wanted to ruffle a few feathers. This wasn't the type of marriage he ever would have envisioned for himself, but he accepted her terms even if he didn't enjoy them. Her father had more or less forced her into this marriage, and if she wanted no more to do with him than absolutely necessary, he would give her that. Even if he often wished things had been different.

"Do you miss Adreas?" he asked, refusing to give up on getting her to talk to him.

"Sometimes," she allowed. "It's not quite the same now that my father has remarried. I enjoyed seeing my old home again. It's good to see them making such good progress on rebuilding after the destruction."

He nodded. Many of Erya's kingdoms needed to rebuild after the war. They had all reeled with shock when Deva, the Dark Disciple, murdered the previous High King and declared his allegiance to the trapped Dark God. After going into hiding, his followers ran amok across the world of Erya. The kingdoms struggled to cooperate without their sovereign and High Council, old grievances suddenly coming to the forefront and allegiances tested. After Deva attacked and occupied the city of Messina, the raids and attacks reached new heights, and Adreas was particularly badly hit. The years since taking back Messina had not been easy on anyone, but it was a far cry better than during those dark days.