Chapter 7

One Year Later: April 11th, 2116

† Serafina †

Conversations with Elías began taking a strange turn, after that day. He never mentioned her attempt to kiss him, nor did he treat her differently because of it. He simply continued treating her and talking to her as he always had. The whole thing made their frank, personal conversations strangely heart-warming and engaging.

Today, however, she was alone. Their lunch break saw them separate for the first time since she had arrived here and it was a strange relief. There was something important she had to do that Elías could no longer help her with.

Dear Papa and Father,

In the time I have been here, I have learned a lot about myself and our family. I have made a friend, have learned much from my teacher, and there is so much I would like to share with you that I barely know where to start.

First, I have to tell you that I am not the girl that I was when I came here. Or even when I wrote my letter. I know it will be hard for you to believe, as such a short time has passed since then, but I promise you it is true. I hope to prove that to you when we next see each other. But, rather than returning home, I hope that you will visit me. I know that Aunt Sienna and Uncle Lindley will be returning this letter to you shortly, as they return home, but I will not be with them and I am glad not to be.

I am thankful that you allowed me to stay here for so long, and would like to remain a little longer, with your permission. I do not know how long I will stay, but I think it may be another two years, as the Sisters have agreed to house me and allow me to work in return for the room I occupy. I have learned that I have suppressed my magic to such an extent that drawing it out again will be even harder than learning to use a new gift. Though I regret the things I have said and done in the past, this I cannot regret, because I am learning so much about myself in the process.

Serafina paused to consider what to say next. She wrote a good paragraph or more about Sister Margaret and her link to their family. She wanted them to know all that she had learned, about Jaycob and about the people she had met and what they had taught her. So she wrote about Sister Destine and the other nuns, about her lessons and her progress.

Finally, she closed her letter.

I cannot apologise enough for the emotional pain and torment I have put you through. I only hope that you will be proud of the woman I am becoming and that I hope to become in the future.

All my love,

Serafina.

Once completed, she folded the letter and placed it into an envelope. Then, she pulled up another piece of paper and began to write again.

Jaycob,

You may never know the extent of the anger I have harboured towards you as I have grown up. Perhaps it would be better if you never did. All I can say is that I was a misguided child, who was forever sheltered from the worst of life and had no concept of the reasons that I should adore you for the gentle soul you are rather than think you a competitor for our parents affections.

No apology could ever make up for the thoughts I have had towards you, but I hope that when I return home – or when you are able to visit me, here – you will allow me to embrace you as your sister and no longer your enemy. The way it should always have been. And I hope that you will see the change in me, and allow me to show you that I am not the person I once was.