Chapter 9

January 16th, 2094

† Finnegan †

Spencer's laughter was a joy to hear, as Finnegan placed a book upon the shelf and began searching for another, that had been misplaced by a customer. "How I will miss you, when you leave," he said, with a deep sigh.

Finnegan turned from where he packed the shelves, in a temporary job, so he could face his friend. "As I will miss you. But it is only ten years. The time will fly, once you find your King and convince him to marry you," he teased.

Again, Spencer laughed and slid from where he sat on the counter to cross to hug him. "It is a long time. But I hope you find much happiness while you are gone," he whispered.

Holding him tight, Finnegan could not help but think of his words. Anthony had been offered a post in Scotland, for ten years, and they had decided to travel there six weeks early, to visit the guard's family. It would be the first time Finnegan would meet them, though they had conferred often in letters. Still, he feared that one of them may discover his past life, within the Promise of Pleasure, and shun him from the family circle.

Not that it would matter. He had been with Anthony for many months now and they had been married the week before Christmas, in a beautiful ceremony. The city guards had attended and not one had spoken ill of his previous employment, though many had been to visit him before Anthony. After his dear friend had revealed his inexperience and 'come out' to the other guards, they had backed away from appointments with him. Even those who had once visited quite regularly allowed Anthony to think he was special. Which, of course, he was.

"All will be well," Spencer promised quietly. Then he pulled back from the much needed hug and grinned. "When you return, I will be married and we can raise babies together," he joked.

Finnegan laughed, his negative thoughts drifting away in light of the teasing. Children, indeed. Males could not have children with another male, but there was always the possibility of adoption, which was much easier for gay couples in Scotland than elsewhere. Worldwide, vampires of all relationships had been adoption children since they revealed themselves to the world, but it was not so easy for humans in places where the human councils still reigned.

It was told that the vampires had claimed the entire Scottish kingdom and granted all vampire rites to any human under their rule. He suspected, perhaps, that had been the main reason Anthony had accepted this new position. Not only did his earnings rise with the move, but they could afford to sell his uncle's home and purchase a much larger estate in Scotland, where money went further.

"I hope so," Finnegan confessed, with a sigh. He could not deny that he longed for a family. "But you must visit us, when you have found your King. I know that he and the Scottish King are not on the best of terms, but I insist. You must see our new home, at least," he demanded.

Spencer nodded, with a delighted smile. "Will you remain there, after Anthony's term of service?" he enquired.

"I am not sure." There, he could give no positive answer. He and Anthony were still deliberating the opportunities that could wait for them in Scotland. If life were cheaper and more free there, it may well be that they remained indefinitely. But he would miss Spencer greatly. "I will write to you. But I shall have my letters sent to the Promise of Pleasure. That way it does not matter where you live and I know the manager will always keep them for you," he explained.

"That is a good plan," Spencer agreed, with a giggle. He swung his hands behind his back and stared at him with nothing but happiness. "We shall have wonderful lives, Finn. Wonderful, happy lives full of love and children," he claimed. "I feel it in my bones. No matter where we are or how long it is until I see you again, you shall always be my very best friend."