Too Young to Die: Prologue

Start from the beginning

Harrington smiled and looked over at Jaycob. "Are you angry with your father for wanting to walk you to school?" he asked, not sure how he would feel if his father had ever offered to do such a thing. With his work in the construction industry he was often up so early that it was still dark when he left the house. Then he did not return until long after Harrington had been sent to bed.

Perhaps if they had lived a vampire lifestyle or the halfway compromise that Jaycob and his parents managed he might see more of his father. He would never suggest such a thing, though. His father hated vampires, because of the politics concerning the renovation of the towns. It was difficult enough to speak of his friendship with Jaycob at home, without mentioning the King.

Still, he knew that his father was a good man, and that every hour he worked was to keep them happy, healthy and with a home. Harrington simply wished he could spend more time with him, to perhaps learn who his father was when he wasn't at work.

"Not really," Jaycob replied, drawing his attention to his coat, as he tugged at a loose button. "I know father loves me and that is more than some children at school have, but he understands that I must be my own man. I will be King someday and I cannot have other people doing everything for me. I must be like my papa; I must do it all myself and if I cannot make my father understand why I must be able to walk to school alone, now that I am older, then I will never be a good King."

The reasoning made Harrington smile. "You do remember that you are only fourteen?" he teased, nudging his friend, who flushed. He was unlikely to be made King until he was at least of age, even if his papa did suffer an unexpected accident. They all knew that Spencer would take over the rule until Jaycob was of age, to give his son time to grow up and adapt to his fate.

Jaycob simply shrugged and sighed. "Sometimes, I forget."

Harrington lost his smile and hugged his best friend's arm, as he realised how true those words were. He would just have to make sure that they tried especially hard to remind Jaycob that he was still a child and would not face those immense responsibilities for some years yet. He hoped.

***

"You are wrong!" Jaycob shouted at the boy taunting him, his hands curled into fists by his side.

Harrington looked around the busy street, hoping one of the adults would intervene and shoo the bullies away. But everyone caught his eye and quickly looked away. Clearly, they were too afraid to interfere where the Prince was concerned, in case they were blamed if anything went wrong.

Frowning at their selfishness, knowing they would help if there was any hope of a royal reward for their actions, Harrington thought about what could be done.

"Your papa is a monster!" one of the boys, Baxter, said, with a sneer and laughter that caused the other four boys to join in. "Monster! Monster!" they chanted, all five of them shouting the same thing so loud that it could not be ignored by the adults, even if they wanted to.

Yet no one helped. And Jaycob looked so upset.

He had no idea of what to do.

"Have you seen a mirror recently?" Jaycob shot back at his bully. "You are the monster! You are so ugly that I am surprised the glass does not shatter upon meeting your reflection."

The shot was well aimed and Harrington would have smiled at what Jaycob's Uncle Parry would call 'verbal sparring' if it were not for the eerie silence that took hold. And the way the bully's face turned bright red.

Aware that the boys were getting closer, backing them towards an alley, Harrington did the only thing he could to prevent a disaster. Either Jaycob would get angry and do magic without meaning to or he would get hurt and Spencer would be furious. So he stepped forward and punched the bully in the face, using what his own father called a 'right hook' to deliver an impact that they would not see coming.