Through all his blubbering, when Anthony first arrived, he had confessed everything of his feelings for both the vampire and guard before him, pleading with him to understand his doubts.

"You did?" Anthony frowned and gently guided him towards the bed, where Finnegan gladly did as he had been told and tucked himself beneath the covers, to rest.

The moment the guard followed him, after removing his outer clothes, he huddled against his chest and continued to explain. "It has taken me far too long to realise the truth, Anthony. I can only beg your forgiveness, for I have been so blinded by my ambition to leave this place that I have forgotten to see what is happening in the here and now," he said, reminded of Spencer's advice and his soothing words from this night.

"I," he stalled and brushed his fingertips over Anthony's bare chest, to let the light spread of dark hair slip between his fingers, "I think I love you. I think I have loved you for a very long time and have been too frightened to admit it, because you have no way of helping me see my dreams into reality. But that is not your fault nor mine. And I can continue to live here – I can let these men touch me – if it means that you will not leave me," he asked, afraid to look up for his reaction.

For the longest time, Anthony was silent and did not move, even to stroke his hair.

Panicking, Finnegan attempted to fill the silence. "I do not ask you to love me back, though I would not lie that it would be wonderful..." he rambled on. "But I only ask that you never leave me. I have found a home with you, Anthony, and I could not bear to lose that." With a deep breath, he continued. "Gustavo was naught but a man who could fulfil my dreams; he had the wealth and eternal life that could see me depart from this place and begin a new life. I thought, because I enjoyed his company and his intellect, that it was enough to make me love him. But it is not."

Still, Anthony said nothing.

"Love is not something you can force and I have learned that," Finnegan promised. "I have seen for myself that it sneaks up on you and strikes when you least expect it. And I know you do not like my being here, but we are not in a position to change that. I would not earn nearly as much in another profession, though if you asked it of me, I would leave to make you happy," he confessed, though it made his heart beat wildly to think of seeking employment elsewhere. He had no skills and it would take three times as long to be able to live independently, the way he wished to.

Suddenly, Anthony shifted beside him and turned onto his side, a hand cupping his cheek as his thumb slid beneath Finnegan's chin and tilted his head up. As their eyes met, Finnegan's heart nearly burst from his chest, for fear of what he might say.

But he did not speak.

Lips crushed against his and he found all ability to breathe swept away. Finnegan responded to the kiss eagerly, holding Anthony's stubbled jaw and moaning at the delightful and so intimate touch of a tongue touching his.

Before he could think to retreat and beg for an explanation of what that kiss may mean, Anthony pushed him onto his back and climbed over him. Finnegan moaned in approval and let his hands explore the taut muscles of a strong back and slide further still to cup the perfectly rounded globes of his backside. Though clad in black under boxers, he squeezed the cheeks unconsciously, as he attempted to bring their bodies into closer contact.

That, unfortunately, was when Anthony broke away, gasping for breath.

They stared at each other for so long that Finnegan was afraid to speak. He did not want to break the spell that had caused such a beautiful display of passion.

"I love you, too."

Those were not the first words Finnegan had expected to hear, but he could not deny that they made his heart ache with joy and a smile spread across his lips.

"And it was once true that I could offer no assistance, to making your dreams a reality," Anthony confessed, only to reach out and brush a strand of hair that had fallen across his cheek, "but that is no longer the case. This very evening, I was withdrawn from the raid at the last moment. An uncle that I did not know I had has died and left his worldly possessions in my care," he revealed, with a growing smile.

"We are by no means rich," he continued, staring at him with such adoration, "but you can leave this place and we can survive quite happily for a few years upon my earnings alone. If that is what you desire?" he asked, hesitantly. "We could not travel the world as you dreamed to, but we could make a home and you would be safe. We could enjoy perhaps ten years with no need for any assistance but my earnings," he clarified.

Finnegan was too stunned to speak. We. That one word kept spinning around his head, making him dizzy and causing an odd fluttering sensation in the depth of his stomach. He opened his mouth to ask for some space, perhaps an open window or a glass of water, but what came out was unexpected.

"Are you proposing marriage?"

Anthony's dark eyes took on a sad gleam as he backed away, to sit on his heels. "I offer whatever you wish," he explained. "I will confess that I did not know how to tell you of my inheritance, knowing of your grand dreams and that I could not fulfil them, even with this unexpected gift. But I also feared that you would claim to love me, even if you did not, so that I may help you leave this place."

He sighed and looked away, avoiding his gaze. "I am ashamed of those thoughts, but I must also admit that I have longed to have you as my own for so long that, when you confessed your love, I wrongly assumed that would mean marriage."

He did not know how to explain his feelings, at this moment, so Finnegan sat up and cupped Anthony's face in both hands. "You were not wrong to worry and it is nothing to be ashamed of. I feared to tell you of Gustavo in case you did not care, but also in case I confessed and realised that I did not truly love you. But I know now that I do and my feelings will never change, whether you have wealthy or not," he promised. "The money means nothing to me, Anthony. Only that we may one day leave this place forever and never return. It means that I could spend the rest of my life knowing only your touch," he whispered.

Anthony smiled and leaned in to kiss him again, softly. "And marriage?"

"Is as much a part of that commitment as leaving this place. If we are to be together and love each other so deeply, we should do so correctly. Shall we not?" Finnegan hinted, afraid to elucidate his idea of love and marriage being intricately linked, in case Anthony had other plans.

He allowed his hands to caress their way around to the back of Anthony's neck and pulled himself closer until they were chest to chest. "Darling," he said, testing the word upon his lips, for the very first time, "If you mean everything you have said tonight, take me home with you. Let us make love in your bed, where no other has been," he asked.

"You wish to wait so long?" Anthony chuckled, though he did not look to be in disagreement.

Finnegan nodded, only because he had longed for the day when he could leave this place and never need to return. To know that he was leaving to be with the man he loved, who loved him in return, was more than he had ever dreamed.

It was a perfect fairytale, but this was not the end. This was the beginning of something magical and wonderful.