40 ♛ The Mastermind

Start from the beginning

He didn't care about their objective or the fact he was being used. He wasn't afraid of death and would welcome it with open arms if he was able to drag that particular person down to hell along with him.

Why did he have to suffer while everybody else gets on in life happily? What sin had he committed when he was simply a child at that time?

Not long later, the Royal Army arrived at the mansion and surrounded it. Flanked by General Guo Jie, the Crown Prince entered the residence with an imposing demeanour, looking ready to murder anyone that stood in his way.

"There you are – what took you so long?" Lord Chen commented, a small smirk playing on his lips. "How did you find the surprises that I've prepared for you? Did you enjoy them?"

"Wang Chen," Li Xun watched him darkly, knowing that he was referring to the multiple murder attempts. "Are you intending to retrieve what used to be yours?"

He crossed his arms. "Why the frown, Cousin? Are you anxious? But don't you worry, I no longer have the desire for a bloodstained position. It's just that the sight of you and your father irks me so much that it ruins my sleep at night."

"You know why my father had to do it," Li Xun said quietly. He may have been a young child at that time, but he knew that his cousin bore a deep grudge against his family after the historic regime change. "Our people were suffering too much."

Lord Chen burst out laughing, mocking his words. "To do that to his own brother? Has it ever occurred to your mind that this might have been an excuse? That he was eyeing the throne too?"

Li Xun shook his head. "Come back with me to the palace, seek forgiveness from Father and repent your sins. I will put in a good word for you."

Hearing this, Lord Chen laughed.

"You know how much he hates me. He even said that I'm too much like my father – ruthless and selfish. Which is why he shut me out all these years, because he's afraid that I would pose a threat to both him and you."

A muscle on Li Xun's face twitched. "What do you want, Wang Chen?"

"Rather than me telling you, how about I show you instead?"

Lord Chen picked up his sword, unsheathing it and standing up slowly. He was getting tired of talking and wanted to get things done quickly. Knowing that he was quite possibly going to die today, he planned to eliminate the future king instead before putting an end to this wretched, meaningless life of his.

General Guo Jie sprang into action immediately but was stopped by Li Xun.

"Do not interfere. This is between me and him."

Both princes closed the distance between them, wasting no time to engage in a fight. Their swords clashed repeatedly and neither of them was showing the other mercy. Lord Chen poured his rage into every blow, pushing his cousin backwards with each attack. He thought of his despicable father, his deceased mother and his ruined life.

There was nothing left for him to live on.

He fought like a maniac. And yet, the one who was trained under the best swordsman in the country was not to be underestimated. In a spur of the moment, Li Xun found an opening and disarmed him of his weapon, levelling the tip of his sword against Lord Chen's throat.

Looking rather disappointed, he huffed in annoyance.

"You're just so unwilling to die."

General Guo Jie finally had enough of the former prince's impudence and stepped forward to intervene. He grabbed his arms and wrenched them back, forcing him to go on his knees before the Crown Prince, who sighed and shoved his sword back into its sheath.

"If you're remorseful, I'll put in a word for you so that Father wouldn't punish you that badly."

"Well, well. Such kindness you have there..." Lord Chen said, heavy sarcasm in his tone. He clucked his tongue as if feeling sympathy for him. "But if I were you, I wouldn't be wasting time here. Not when the spies that I've planted in the palace have already started moving. I'll never let the Emperor see another day alive."

That did it. His threat triggered Li Xun's anger. Grabbing a fistful of his clothes, he hoisted Lord Chen up and glared into his eyes.

"What have you done?" he demanded.

Lord Chen shrugged nonchalantly, which only infuriated him further.

"That's for you to find out."

A/N: Let me just clarify this — this cousin isn't the same man that appeared in the earlier chapters

A/N: Let me just clarify this — this cousin isn't the same man that appeared in the earlier chapters. That guy is called Zhang Wei. They come from different sides of the family.