Chapter-11

ANGELOS POV. Two weeks and four days later.

   "How are they?" I asked one of the guards as I approached the door to my apartment.

It was close to midnight, so I highly doubted they would be awake.

   "Welcome back, Capo. They have been worried sick."

    We had to stay a bit longer than expected.

"You may leave." I dismissed the two.

Opening the door, I could see my mother, sitting on the couch with a glass of wine.

Don't kill me. Don't kill me. Don't kill me. Don't kill me.

"Hey Mom." I hesitantly greeted.

She immediately looked up. "Where the hell have you been?" She asked in a hushed tone.

  "We had a lot more to do than what we planned." I said, stating the obvious.

  "We couldn't even get in touch with any of you!"

  What?

"No. We couldn't get touch with you."

"That's impossible. That would mean someone has been  purposely not putting our calls through."

"We have a rat." I finished her theory. "We were told that you guys were either asleep or out of the house."

  "They told us that you were too busy."

Shit.

"Did anything happen while we were gone?" I asked with a sigh. What else have they been lying about?

She gave me a blank look. "They didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what? Is Mercury ok?"

She began to walk over to me. "Angelo, She's a wreck. About three days ago, the Marino's sent a box to the warehouse. One of the guards brought it over after it went through a detector to see if there was a bomb, or a GPS in it."

   "What was in it?" I pressed on.

"They told us that it was ok to open it, but there was no name for who it belonged to. I opened it with Mercury next to me."

"What. Was. It?"

"It was the head of Mercury's ex-employer. He was the chef she was apprenticing for. They had it surrounded with horseradish, and with a note written on the lid of the box."

Horseradish?!

   "Horseradish?"

She pulled out her phone and showed me a picture of the note.

   "Chefs delight. If I can't have you, then no one will.

                         Xx-Warren."

Oh my god.

"The horseradish triggered a reaction, but I caught it just in time."

I was speechless. My kid saw a head.

"How was she about the head?" I asked.

I, of course had seen shit like that, but I don't think she has.

She sighed. "I think she handled that a hell of a lot worse than her allergic reaction."

"Give More details please?"

"Well, for starters, she has been having really bad dreams about it. She's constantly on edge, and-," she paused. "She needs her father." She breathed.