42. HOLOCENE - final chapter

Start from the beginning

"You're familiar with my resume." Kai smirks smugly, before the two turn back to watch Molly and Hayley. "And you, the slightly more intimidating Original vampire." Kai says. Elijah turns to him, with a confused look on his face, that could only be seen by someone who was really looking for any sense of expression from him. "You're quiet and it scares me." Kai squirms a bit before crossing his arms and leaning against Hayley's car. "Klaus scares me too, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather be stuck in a room with him—"

"You and Molly seem quite close." Elijah interrupts, getting bored with Kai's quick words.

"I would think so." Kai says confusedly. The way Elijah spoke made it seem like Kai should think otherwise.

"I've known Molly for a very long time." Elijah says, lifting his chin and watching Molly. "I haven't seen her like this, ever. Not even with my sister."

Kai turns to face him. "Like what?"

"Happy." Elijah responds.

Kai turned back to Molly. The way she nodded along when someone was talking to her. The way she laughed awkwardly when conversations fell short. The way she fumbled with her hands behind her back when she didn't know what to do with them. The way she kept glancing back at Kai and sending him little smiles, to tell him that she was okay.

She was happy. And Kai felt selfish for thinking that she should only reserve that feeling for him— even if he only thought it for a second.

"You both have those hazel eyes like your mother." One of the pack elders tells Molly and Hayley. Molly's breath hitched a bit, she wasn't used to someone talking about her mom. She wasn't even used to thinking about it.

"This is Jackson." Hayley says, gesturing towards a tall brunette man that came walking towards them. Molly could immediately tell that he was a nice guy. He had one of those smiles that just felt like home.

Molly shakes his hand. "I'm Molly." She says. "Denver." For the first time, she felt like she was lying when she said her name.

"I know." Jackson smiles. He had a strong southern accent that was frequent throughout the pack. "We're all so happy you're back." He nods.

Back. The word didn't sit well with Molly.

The day continues into nightfall. They had started a bonfire in the clearing of the bayou 'celebration' of Molly's return. The fire came to light up the night, to warm air that was more accustomed to the winter chill.

Molly's head rested on Kai's chest, who leaned against one of the logs that sat a little bit farther away from the crowd surrounding the fire. "It's different here." Kai spoke, gently combing Molly's hair with his fingers like he had been for the past few minutes.

"I thought so too." Molly responded, watching the pack hang out around the fire. "Not even in the Bayou— but in New Orleans alone. There's no—"

"Shitty friends?" Kai raises an eyebrow.

Molly scoffs. "Actually, yeah." She sighs.

Kai waits a second before speaking again. "Do you like it here?"

Molly thinks about his question, avoiding the real answer. "New Orleans is so pretty—"

"No, the Bayou." He says.

Molly took a deep breath. "I don't know." She begins, sitting up and leaning against the log beside him. "I've always wanted a family. Someone who understands me." She shrugs. Kai lifted his gaze off of Molly and turned toward the fire with a subtle scoff. "That's not what I meant." Molly began, regretting her words. "I just mean— other wolves. Someone who understands that side of me."