And so Falaq had told him everything. How she made her escape, why she travelled with Amaan and Idegir with all the surrounding towns, why she fought at the Governor's residence, and how she'd failed at finding Ishtar anywhere. He'd listened the whole while, that gaze never leaving her face, as though he was seeing more of her than he had in weeks. She told him about her and Ishtar's friendship, tears flowing freely, and how much she missed her. And then she told him about Zakariyya's curse.

"Do you believe in curses?" Hudayfa had asked carefully.

They were sitting by the fire now, and Falaq was still shocked at how easy it had been to talk to the prince she couldn't stand five minutes of.

"I believe in his hatred for me" she replied, uncertain.

Hudayfa shook his head, "men curse each other every day" a ghost of a smile touched his face, as though smiling at some memory, "it means nothing"

Falaq felt foolishly relieved. Of course she knew that. She had let Zakariyya's words consume her, forgetting that he was a father who spoke out of loss for his daughter.

A smirk played on Hudayfa's handsome face. She immediately felt guarded.

"What?" Falaq asked, perplexed.

"Do not tell me you took his words seriously"

She said nothing, heat rising in her face.

Hudayfa laughed, and the sound envelopes them both with warmth. She watched him in an embarrassed fashion, heart fluttering at the rare sight.

"For someone so seemingly capable, you sure can be foolish"

"I suppose you are right" Falaq conceded reluctantly, a full blown smile under that veil.

Now they rode toward the army camp. Nuh had estimated it would take them less than a day's journey now. Falaq felt their bittersweet that their journey was coming to an end. It wouldn't be the three of them anymore, but the entire Hashshashin Army led by four ruthless princes. Would Hudayfa revert to his loathing self once more? Would Nuh follow his lead? She dared not admit it out loud but the fear that they would lose whatever relationship they had painstakingly built would crumble into dust and dissipate with the next wind.

***

The stranger stumbled out of the rocky cluster and onto smooth dirt. His cheek lay flat, dust rushing into his mouth as he inhaled heavily. Coughs racked through his body, and he tasted blood at the back of his mouth. The dagger buried in his ribs had just missed his heart, but he felt slow death coming for him. He could hear his footsteps, slow and confident. His cloak dragged across the floor, and the stranger knew that sound would fill his nightmares forever.

"I ask you one last time" Zuhair hissed at the fallen figure, "have you, or have you not, delivered your message?"

The stranger gurgled, blood spattering out of his lips. Zuhair felt frustration course through him – he wanted to kill the fool but he had to know the answer. His life and dignity were on the line. A shadow of doubt crossed his mind – what if this was not the messenger? What if he had evaded his clutches?

But the man wore the emblem of Tridari. His features were Tridarian too. He was stocked with weapons, and his horse well-bred. He had to be it. And he was headed in the direction of the army, if not for Zuhair plucking him off his course.

Zuhair yanked the dagger out of the stranger's ribs, and the man howled in agony, sobs ripping through his bloody chest.

"You-" Zuhair spat, grasping him by the collar and raising him off the ground, "answer my question and I shall grant you a quick death"

"I-I-" the man spluttered, gasping for breath.
The sudden sound of hooves caused Zuhair to curse and drop the man, fleeing back into the shadow of the rocky clusters. The riders were coming toward them in full speed, and as he squinted into the darkness and uneasy feeling told him they were no ordinary trio. He could recognise that massive black mare from miles away. It was Prince Hudayfa and his Right Hand...and his betrothed.

The riders came to a halt, horses throwing their heads up and whinnying at the sudden gesture. Nuh slid off his mare, striding over to the stranger. Zuhair watched as those gloved hands wiped the grime off the man's face. The fiery orange eyes widened a fraction when he realised the man wore the Tridarian emblem.

"Hud" he called, standing up. The uncertainty on his face intrigued Hudayfa, who swung off Balqis' back and joined him, crouching down.

"He was attacked" Hudayfa murmured, examining the man's bloody torso.

"H-he's h-here..." the man gurgled, eyes wide.

"Who?" Hudayfa asked carefully.

"Who is it?" Falaq whispered to Nuh meanwhile. He was rummaging through his saddle bags for gauze.

"I..." Nuh glanced back at where Hud was still crouched next to the stranger, "he is Tridarian...but I have never seen him before. He is not Marked"

Falaq's heart stopped for a moment. Could it be? She dismounted Batal quickly, praying to the heavens she was not right. She gathered her skirts and hurried over, squinting in the darkness. Hudayfa glanced up at her as she approached. He shook his head disapprovingly.

"This is no sight for a woman" he told her, but Falaq was not listening. She settled on her knees next to the stranger, eyes wide.

A gasp escaped her when she recognised the familiar contours of his face, heart hammering.

"Houssam?"

Finally Houssam is here!!! Thoughts? Comments? And anticipations for the next chapter???