27. B R I T T L E

A/N: Assalam'alaykum and hello Stormers! Been a long time since I updated but I hope you enjoy it! Make sure you comment your thoughts/predictions as I love reading them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recap: Upon learning of a suspicious letter Taimur sends the assassin Khan to order the return of Hudayfa. Falaq escapes from Nuh and Hudayfa upon learning from Amaan that Ishtar is lost in the desert. She travels with Amaan and Idegir to Russicada, where they search for Ishtar. Meanwhile Ishtar has been abducted by the assassins and brought to Taimur who develops a strange possessiveness over her. He names her "Hadeel", meaning dove. A few days later Ishtar attempts to escape but is caught by Taimur. Hudayfa and Nuh travel to Russicada on Falaq's trail and make a deal with the Governor. Falaq, Amaan and Idegir become short on resources and are facing near starvation. Falaq decides to enter a fighting ring held by Russicada's Governor to earn prize money for resources. Little does she know Hudayfa is in the crowd. At the conclusion of the fight he approaches her and rips her veil away, finally seeing her face for the first time. After being arrested Falaq passed out from fatigue and Hudayfa interrogates Amaan and Idegir as to why she took their company.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My body and mind warn me. My soul urges me onward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~

I S H T A R
جُمَادَىٰ ٱلْآخِرَة
R O A D   T O  H I J A A Z
(Warning: sensitive)
Dry.

Everything felt dry.

Her eyes could no longer squeeze tears. Her skin felt papery. Her throat was parched. Her very bones felt brittle.

Ishtar could feel her soul slowly retreating deeper and deeper within herself, curling up into a ball when she could not, hiding its face away. She was beginning to lose feeling. Her mind was still in shock - how had she come from being the princess of her home to a slave of the lowest standing.

Her skin crawled. She could still feel his touch, his ice cold fingers, his iron grip, his amber eyes covered in anger and lust. He'd destroyed her that night. He was so angry. He cursed at her, even as he adored every part of her body. He'd wiped her tears, even as he forced her to his will.

She could not sink any lower.

And now she offered no resistance. Ever since her escape attempt, she was made to warm his bed.

She still remembered that night.

She'd woken up like an angel. She was buried in beautiful covers and her head rested in the softest pillows. The soft candle light illuminated her rosy cheeks. She held up a hand. The skin was gleaming with health. She hadn't felt this good in a long time.

She slowly propped herself up, wondering why the Pale One had granted her a large bed and such comfort. Had his heart warmed to her? She was grateful nonetheless. Even as a prisoner, she was safe and sound. Perhaps she had thought wrong of him.

The flap of her tent opened and he slipped inside. The air became static. Ishtar could feel the tenseness in his body. His gaze landed on her. Those amber eyes were angrier than she had ever seen them. A chill spread through her body.

The anger dissipated into lust. He shamelessly took her in, and she felt her cheeks heat up. She pulled the sheets higher, hiding her body.