Chapter Twenty Five - Part One

Start from the beginning

As the sun gradually gets closer to setting, I know I should feel scared or nervous about being alone, well, without Maxwell, but I can't help but to sing along and dance to the carefree songs. It's doing its job by keeping my mind off the impending doom that continues to linger above my head. And it's also doing its job of making Juliet feel better as well. Bravo Nathan...whoever you are.

Out of the blue, the doorbell chimes, almost causing me to drop one of the plates I'm placing in the dish rack. Juliet runs to the door as if she knows exactly who resides behind it. Preparing myself for the worst, I grab a dirty knife. Did I really expect the night to go well?

I had been so caught up in the music that I didn't even notice the slowly setting sun. My heart beats heavily against my chest, but when I hear a familiar voice fill the living room, I quickly place the knife down before his heavy footsteps get any closer to the kitchen.

"There you are Cinderella." He jokes either ignorant or oblivious to the tension that was left between us the last time we were together.

With my back still turned to him, I reply, "Dave. What on earth are you doing here?" I try to sound as happy and surprised as possible when truthfully I want to fill the room with my sarcasm of how this whole night is unwanted, including his presence.

"Juliet didn't tell you?" Dave questions me.

"Tell me what?" Now I'm beginning to become more nervous.

"That she invited Nathan and I over." His smile is cocky and sly.

"You know Nathan?"

"Yeah, he's one of my good friends. So...she did tell you about us coming then?"

"No, I had no idea that you or this Nathan were going to show up. The only reason the name Nathan sounds familiar is because I found his love mix and I confronted Juliet about it...she unwillingly informed me. She didn't have a choice in the matter, just like I don't have a choice in the matter now."

"You should be happy, you have a helper now." He picks up a towel and begins to dry the clean dishes. "You know, I helped him pick out some of these songs."

"They sound like the cheesy song you like." I joke.

Just then Juliet rushes in with whom other than Nathan.

"Charlie, this is Nathan. The lovely man who's responsible for our entertainment tonight," Juliet informs me. She looks at him with sheer awe and I slightly feel jealous.

"Nice to meet you, Nathan," I say in the kindest manner.

I look over his tall frame and shaggy light brown hair. He's not quite heavy set, but he's not a small guy either.

"I've heard about you from Dave," Nathan tells me.

Oh dear Lord, I can only imagine what Dave has divulged about me to one of his friends. "Only good things, I hope," I say before glaring at Dave.

"Of course. We'll, umm, leave you two alone." He turns to Juliet. "Care to dance?" he asks. With Juliet nodding in utter excitement, he leads her into the living room. The scrape of her coffee table against the wooden floor lets me know they're making a mini dance floor.

"Why don't you go and dance, Dave? I can finish the dishes." I keep my back to him as I speak, occasionally looking at the window. Just as if I timed it perfectly, I see a blur of something rush past the small window. I would've missed it if I wasn't so intent on keeping my back to Dave. The shadow made the tree line smear together as whatever it was went by incredibly fast.

"Don't be silly, we should all be having fun. Come dance with us, Charlie," he pleads.

"You know what, I think I need some air. I'll be right back." I leave Dave behind with his confusion as I exit the back door.