chapter eighteen

still september 20th

"do you know where colby is?" i asked jake when he answered the phone. i called colby three times and it continuously went to voicemail.

"no... he's probably with sam. you should call him." he told me. i thanked him and hung up, calling sam.

"hey." i said when he picked up.

"what's up?" he asked.

"do you know where colby is? i.... uh need help with some editing." i told him.

"i don't know where he is... but i'm with kat right now and we were kinda in the middle of something-" he paused

"ew, god. okay i love you, bye."

"love you." he said, hanging up.

i thought about it for a few minutes and decided that he might be at our diner.

there was a diner about ten minutes away that colby and i would go a lot to because it was super lowkey. they had the best fries and milkshakes. even better than chick fil a.

i got into my car and began the short drive to the diner. pulling in, i noticed colbys red toyota corolla.

i parked right next to him and got out of the car. i went into the building, the door ringing as i opened it.

"are you okay?" i asked him, sitting across from him at the table

"i'm great. are you okay?" he asked, not really caring for the answer.

"no i'm actually not okay." i confessed.

"sucks. you should go talk to friends in anaheim about it. maybe they'll care to help you." he spit, getting up and going towards the door. i got up and walked after him.

"colby i-" i started but was cut off.

"save it, adelaide. i don't know why i wasted my time with you. you're just my best friends little sister. whatever this was, is over now." he said, once we were outside.

"you don't mean that." i said my voice breaking slightly.

"so now you can read my mind, huh?" he asked.

"you're just saying that cause you're angry." i said, hoping i was right.

"i'm saying it because it's true. honestly, you're better off with tyler or one of your country club friends." he told me.

"no i'm not. i'm better off with you. i'm better with you. you make me better, colby." i confessed.

"i make you better, but you make me worse. ever since this started, i've not been myself. i'm lying to my friends, sneaking behind my best friends back with his sister. my every thought is consumed by you. do you know what it's like to think of someone constantly? there's not a minute that goes by that i don't think of you. fuck adelaide, its torture." he confessed to me.

i couldn't tell if he meant it in a good way or a bad way. well i know it was meant in a bad way but i find it somewhat comforting that he also thinks of me the way i think of him.

"colby, you're all i think about too. it's like i can't breathe without you. you keep me going. you're mad that i was thinking of leaving, but i'm right here. i'm right here and you're pushing me away." i told him.

"i don't want to get close to you if you're just going to leave." he said.

"it's a little late for that." i smiled

"i guess you're right." he chuckled

"i'm not leaving." i told him.

"what?" he asked, his eyes shooting open