018 ⎯⎯ What Team?

Start from the beginning

     "We all ended up in the same basement after a really bad day, so someone should say something," Ashlyn said.

     "Fine.  I'll say something," Carlos said.  "I'm mad at Miss Jenn."

     "Why?" Gina asked quietly, followed by a soft scoff.  "Because she's got a couple skeletons in her closet?"

     "No, because she's giving up," Carlos explained.  "She was the first teacher to not see me as a punchline, and now she's not even a real teacher? 

     "Define real teacher," Ashlyn said.

     "He's got a point," Kourtney said from her spot on her chair, with her arms folded over her torso.

     "Does he, though?" Natalie quickly added.

     "Guys," Big Red looked at the girls with raised eyebrows.  If Megara didn't know any better, she'd think that it was becoming his signature statement to grab people's attention.  Lord knows he had been working overtime to keep Ricky and Megara from clawing each other's throats out.

     "So, why are we all here then?" Natalie asked, frustrated.

     "Yeah, good question," EJ chimed in.  "This is a waste of time."

     There was a brief moment of silence, everyone sitting with their own thoughts before Carlos spoke up again.  "Honestly?  Because she gave me a shot.  And it's been a long time since someone gave me a shot."

     "Yeah," Seb said, moving his hand to rest over Carlos's knee.  Megara smiled sadly as she watched the couple.

     "She gave me a voice," Nini finally spoke up.

     "Yeah, and now nobody's gonna get to hear it because Miss Jenn screwed up," Kourtney said.

     "Okay, does anyone here actually care if her past is a little bit sketchy?" Ashlyn asked.  "Anyone?"

     To Megara's surprise, Ricky's voice cut through saying, "I do."  He sat by himself on an orange chair, resting his hands on both armrests, while Megara sat on a stool to his left.  She turned her head to face him once she heard his voice.

     Big Red also turned to look at Ricky.  "Seriously, dude?" he asked, appalled.

     "What, because you live some perfect life?" Kourtney asked, which was funny since she was the one just saying Miss Jenn had messed with their play.

     "Not at all," Ricky said as he stood up and walked around.  "Because she put our show in jeopardy.  And now we're all here, maybe for the last time, together.  And for some of us, this has become I don't know..." he trailed off.

     Megara, for one, was surprised to hear him standing up and speaking like a true Troy Bolton figure.

     "Family," Nini finished for him.  Megara turned her gaze to the floor in front of her, although there was nothing exciting about it.

     "Yeah, sure.  You guys are okay," Megara added with a shrug.

     "Okay, just okay?" Kourtney said with a raised eyebrow.

     Megara rolled her eyes.  "Fine.  You guys are cool.  Honestly, a lot cooler than I expected.  Hanging with you guys is..." Megara stopped and sighed.  "You guys can't tell anyone but I'd rather rehearse this play than be at home, or anywhere else for that matter.  I cannot describe it."

     Seb nodded, his lips locked in a smile.  "I promise."

     After a long moment, Ricky finally asked, "What team?"