Adulting

Prompt: Hey! I was wondering if you could do a prompt where Ali's maternity leave is over and she doesn't want to go back to work but at the same time she wants to? Please and thank you in advance.

***

Adulting

Alison woke up almost two hours before her alarm was set to go off. She hadn't slept well. Thoughts had been swirling around in her head for the past several days. She had butterflies in her stomach about returning to work after having spent so much time at home with her son. She knew it was time, but she felt like everything was going to change. She was afraid of all the things she was going to miss.

She was also nervous about how he would react without having her around. Would he be sad? Cranky? Would he even miss her at all?

She hadn't been able to come to terms with the idea of her son at daycare. She'd gotten pissed when Emily said it had been good enough for the twins.

"Because they were older when we started taking them." Alison scowled angrily at her wife. "Your mom watched them a lot. They were with family."

Emily's mom was working again, so they couldn't ask her. Jason and his family lived in New York. Alison had suggested one of their friends could care for him. Emily gently reminded her that they had to work as well.

"Well, except I think that Aria is in between books right now." Emily thought it over. "She is taking some time off."

Aria's son, Finn was starting first grade and she wanted to be more involved in mommy things since she'd been traveling so much on her book tour. She'd been talking with Ezra about adopting another baby. They were trying to get set up for the adoption process.

"You want to call Aria and see if she's up for it?" Emily asked.

Alison wavered on the suggestion, because she was having trouble with the idea of leaving Sam with anyone. But she eventually came to her senses.

Aria jumped at the chance to take him. She said that it would get her used to having a little one in the house again. And she knew that Finn would love to come home from school and have Sam to play with.

Alison felt a little more at ease when they had their plan set in place. But the morning they were getting ready for the big day, Alison was a nervous wreck. She was short-tempered with the girls and snippy with Emily.

She snapped at Emily when they were brushing their teeth and then hurried off to get Sam ready, leaving Emily standing in the bathroom in confusion. All she'd done was ask Alison to pass the floss to her. It had set her off for some reason.

Over the years, the brunette had gotten used to Alison's mood swings. Sometimes she just let it go. Other times she knew she needed to step up and say something. She sighed, letting the toothbrush in her mouth fall slack.

"I married a crazy person." She said assuredly to her reflection.

She finished brushing her teeth and went to find her "crazy person". Alison was running around Sam's room grabbing a bunch of random items while Sam watched her from his crib. He gripped the guard rail and chewed on the edge. He squealed in excitement when he saw Emily.

"Hey, buddy." She smiled.

"We need to hurry. I told Aria we'd be there by 8. We should get him dressed."

"He hasn't had his breakfast yet. You know how messy he gets..."

"He has a bib, Emily." Alison sounded suspiciously like a teenager saying duh.

From Friendship to ForeverOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara