I Am Death

Life is, for lack of a better word, a jerk. He's a Grade-A POS and SOB. He may argue otherwise, and he may even appear otherwise, but you know what they say, even the Devil can appear as an Angel of the Light. Life is no exception. If anything, he is perhaps the cruelest angel (or devil) of all, a true liar and deceiver of the nations. He, being the entity that he is, can come in any way he pleases. He transcends reality itself, he is an idea that can take on a physical form. He is what happens when an action combines with a concept.

Now he often takes the form of a handsome, early-adulthood male. Upper class, wealthy, White, cis-het, intelligent, polite, educated, powerful, successful, charming and a proper businessman and gentleman. He knows all the latest trends, he is very relatable and charismatic, he is everyone's best chum, and he is the warm and boisterous guy that happily attends every wedding and baby shower he can! He's a partier, but not to an obnoxious excess. He's just the jolly buddy everyone loves. He's the center of attention and life of every event, and the world adores him for it.

But enough about him. What about me? Well, I am not nearly as pleasant. I am Death. And in the same way Life can transcend reality, so can I. I was also brought forth when an event combined with an idea. Likewise, I can also choose any appearance that I wish. The normal rules that bind mortal creatures have no power over me. And I, like Life, enjoy the fluidity of my powers.

At the moment, I masquerade as a young woman attending college for the first time (even though I've attended every little last institution in history). And I take upon the persona of someone who is quiet, friendly and sweet, but very shy and introverted. I much prefer to be alone. But do not mistake my self-imposed isolation for misery or hatred. I like to consider myself fairly approachable, if you're brave enough.

Life, meanwhile, is a professor at this college. He always tries to choose the best of any demographic he settles into. But honestly, all of it is only an act. As entities beyond the realm of human comprehension, we already know everything that there is to know about the world. College does nothing for us except help us pass the time as we continue to drift along in our existence. Our jobs as the bringers of life and death may be full-time jobs, but again, our transcendent nature allows us to be everywhere all at once. There is no rush to bring life and death. It just happens.

And whenever and wherever it happens, we are there as well, inherently present on the scene. Our human roles are only to please ourselves and pass the time. It is where our conscious forms choose to reside, though we both have since proven that we can have multiple active minds all at once. Not quite a hive mind, but something similar. I told you we were pretty far above human understanding!

But I did not just come here today to introduce myself to you, for I am sure that many of you already know me very well. My brother and I aren't exactly strangers to humankind. No, instead, I came here to ask you to change your mind about us. Don't see me as a monster anymore. Don't see me as the fearsome specter, the grim reaper, waiting in the foggy distance to steal your soul and drag it to the afterlife.

And don't see Life as a god and hero anymore either. See me as a guide and guard, protecting and caring for your soul as it passes on from this world to the next. I carry you gently down to eternal rest. I aid the lost. I am the one who sings and rocks you to sleep, pulling the covers of the Earth over your body for one final rest before you enter a deep, dreamless respite. But Life? Well...

Like I said, he is a jerk. He does not create, he only brings forth, and then he steals credit for it. You can see him, celebrating himself and dancing through joyous ceremonies and births, living himself up and stroking his own massive ego. It is I who comforts the lost, broken, forgotten, wounded and grieving. It is I who wipes away tears. It is I who kneels before man.