How to Respond to a Seizure

Now, I am not a professional, so I might end up missing certain things. But these things are important for people who witness seizures, especially if you are one of the few, or the only, person around.

First thing to know is that seizures don't automatically are because of epilepsy. There are many different ways that someone can have a seizure, so you should not jump to conclusions.

Another thing to mention is certain myths/miss understandings of seizures. Believe it or not, but some people do believe that a seizure is caused by a demon or dark magic, while others thing it is a physiological cause (such as stress). Another is that someone can choke on their tongue. All of these are not true.

There are many types of seizures an epileptic can have, convulsive and not. One that is not conclusive is called an absence, or the ones I have are. They can last a few seconds and the person isn't always aware of them. That goes for me too, the only time I remember is when someone mentioned it at a medical camp I was staying in.

Different people can have different reactions to different seizures. And some people can sense when a seizure is coming, and so they prepare themselves for it. This can be a certain smell or feeling. In fact, I know someone who has a weird smell come to her before her seizures. This can also develop as the person goes along with their seizures, because she gained the sense during the years.

Along with the different parts of seizures, people are capable of having more than one. I have both convulsive and absence seizures. Specifically Juvenile Absence Epilepsy Disorder. There are many names for many types, including the age you started having seizures (you can start them at any age, and sometimes have a pattern on when you have a seizure, such as perhaps once every month, but it can be random, like mine).

Epilepsy can be hereditary or they can just happen to anyone. You could gain it at any age.

Seizures can kill, wether by things that were required but not fulfilled, and sometimes just of natural causes. Be aware that most people will wake up tired from a seizure, or will wake up a while after a seizure. Speak calmly to them and help them to be comfortable.

What to do:
You must go to them and move over anything that they could hit and be injured by.
•Search for any medical jewelry, such as a necklace or bracelet. This is not required, but it is suggested.
•Place something soft under their head. But it can not be a pillow or anything thick, it could possibly harm them during their seizure.
•Roll the person onto their side. This is to make sure they do not choke on their spit and vomit. Yes, some people vomit during their seizures, I have once. This is an important step. If they are on their back or stomach, there is a very high risk of choking.
•If someone has a seizure longer than 2 minutes, it is a good idea to call 911. You can call it before if you want, especially if they are at a school or on the street. Just somewhere not close to home.
•Absolutely do not put your hand in your mouth. Their jaws normally clench during a seizure, and they won't let go. People have had their fingers broken, and even cut off due to this. It is best for both of you.
•If they have long hair, try to move it away from the face if possible.
•Do not try to restrain them. This will not work.
•Do not try to wake them if they pass out. Let them rest.
•If they use medication, do your best to get the medicine. But do not leave the person's side until a professional gets there. If the seizure is horrible, they will have something to stop the seizure. This is only for emergencies or when you have it in the hospital. It will not be available to you.

Be aware that there are some seizures you can't do anything about. Such as an absence seizure. They do not have convulsions, but normal cut off or stare off for a few seconds and doesn't remember what happened.

As I mentioned before, I only remember one. I am not fully controlled on those seizures, and my friend recognized it when I cut off my sentence for a few moments. It was at a medical camp, and so my cabin was for epileptics.

These seizures will only last a few seconds (mine lasts 1-3 seconds). Depending on how long you know it lasts, you should call the parent if it gets longer or it gets more common. This is important knowledge for them that they can pass along to their doctor.

Many of people won't remember what happened during their seizure. But there are some types where the person is aware while they're having it, such as hearing someone's voice.

You can't do much after that list. Just be careful and gentle with the person, try not to move them aside from putting them on their side.

If there is an adult or only one other person, make them call 911. If you are absolutely alone with the person having a seizure, you can call 911 but set it on speaker, talking to them while you make sure to keep an eye on the victim.

It is suggested that an uncontrolled epileptic, no matter what seizures they have, should not drive or swim unsupervised (hell, I can't even take a bath if I don't have someone watching me, hence why I take showers instead). Showers are fine, because you can't have a seizure and drown in it.

I hope this information is useful to people and feel free to add anything else