Growing Pains

"NO! DAMON!!!"

Ariel suddenly finds herself outside in the woods, not understanding how she got there.

"Ariel."

She turns around sees someone she never expected to see again... Damon. Her eyes begin to glisten with tears causing him to be concerned.

"What's wrong?"

"You're... You're alive. How...?"

"Of course I am, silly. Why would I be dead? I mean technically I am but-" He is immediately cut off by her when she lunges at him for a hug. He reciprocates and the act causes him to laugh. "Whoa! What's gotten into you?"

"I thought I lost you..."

"Little mermaid, you could never lose me. Besides, you're the only one who gets my jokes." She giggles and eventually lets him go. He then wipes her tears away. "Okay, now show me what you got."

"Huh?"

"Did you forget already? We're out here for your training."

"Oh... Okay."

He throws her a stake and begins their combat training. It's all going well and when she stops herself from staking him in the heart. "You're dead." Proud of her victory, she starts to notice blood starting to form where his heart is. "Wh-?"

"My little mermaid..."

He collapses into her arms and begins to desiccate. She screams for help and begs him not to leave her.

Ariel awakens, finding herself in her bedroom being comforted by her mother. "You're home sweetheart. It's okay."

Outside Ariel's room, Caroline is quietly speaking to Bonnie and Kol. "I don't get it, how did Alaric die?"

"Does it bloody matter? Katerina's saved us all. Now Bonnie. Can you bring Damon back?"

"I could try but it might take some time. I've already performed a cloaking spell on Ariel while she was asleep."

"I'm so worried, I've never seen her like his."

"One of her best friends just died, Caroline. How do you expect her to react? ...This is all my fault."

"Don't say that."

"Why not? Damon's dead because he pushed me out of the way. He took a bullet that was meant for me!"

Bonnie puts her hand on Kol's shoulder. "Damon did what he did for Ariel. He knew she would fall apart if she lost you. I may have not liked Damon but I know he cared about her a lot."

Caroline's phone begins to ring and she answers it. "What is it, Matt? I'm kinda busy at the moment... How important is it?" She sighs. "Fine, we'll come over." She hangs up. "You, me and Ariel need to go over to Elena's house."

"Why?"

"Matt wouldn't say except something's going on with Elena. It's not something we can talk about over the phone."

"My darling isn't in the condition to help Elena with her needs!"

"You think I don't know that? I don't want to go over there either but Matt is the one that I'm concerned about. And if Elena has made another stupid decision then it could effect all of us!" Caroline opens the door to Ariel's room. "Mom. I need to take Ariel with me and Bonnie. We're going to see Matt and Elena about something."

"Now? This isn't the best time-"

"I know it isn't. But Matt stated that I need to bring Bonnie and Ariel with me. If it wasn't important, I would let her stay here." She walks over to Ariel's bed and takes the girl from her mother's arms. "Angelfish, I know you're not doing well but I need you to come with me and Bonnie for a little bit, okay? You don't have to talk or do anything. Can you do that for me?"