EPILOGUE

The tavern was packed with people

The tavern was packed with people. Rok had problems getting the orders of drinks on the counter because there were so many. He had to watch out for the waiters too, they came by to grab food for the tables and had to walk through the bar to get to the kitchen. The tavern owner put down two beers in front of two dwarfs that were still drinking. Their brothers already laid drunk under the table, talked nonsense too each other or slept like a baby.

"Here you go, enjoy!" Rok said before turning to the left where he had seen a new guest arrive at his humble establishment. It was a beautiful woman with long dark hair. She sat down at the counter as Rok approached her. "Welcome, what can I get you?"

"A beer, please." Even her voice sounded beautiful.

Rok nodded and turned around to fill her a glass of his best beer. He had never seen her before, she was not a citizen of Elio, he knew every single mouse around here. Judging by her fancy dress, she must be a noble, but she did not seem like one. She had to be a wealthy traveller then, seeking a place to stay for the night. "So, what brings you to Elio?"

"I am looking for the Witcher."

Rok frowned and put the filled glass down in front of her. "Geralt of Rivia?"

The pupils of her eyes got smaller when she heard the name. "You know him?"

"Yes, he stayed at my tavern for a while," Rok answered with a nod. "He left two days ago, though. Everybody had hoped he would have stayed a little longer, but adventure called on him, I guess."

"Did he say anything before he left?" The woman asked curious and took a sip from her beer. "Or do you know where he went?"

Rok squinted his eyes. Why was she asking him all these questions about the Witcher? Did they know each other? And if so, why was she looking for him? "What is your business with him?"

"It is ... a private matter."

Rok nodded slowly, not fully convinced. "Okay, then. All I know is that they headed north."

The woman raised her eyebrows. "They?"

"Yes, him, the bard Jaskier and our dear Davina."

The woman threw some money on the counter and got up from her chair. "Thank you, the beer was the best I ever had."

She turned around and headed out of the door as quickly as she could. Rok looked down at the beer. She had only taken this one sip, the glass was still nearly full. What on earth was she up to?